ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

My task isn't executing properly (BEGINNER)

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

My task isn't executing properly (BEGINNER)

Postby DannyBurnley » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:10 pm

Hi!

I apologise if my question has been answered in other places. I'm getting a little frazzled because I can't understand why my task isn't executing, so I need a different set of eyes!

I'm practicing with tasks and different locations.

I have a brass key for a door which will be held in a container which can only be discovered upon reading a note telling my character it's there.
Initially the brass key is set to 'hidden' and 'dynamic'. Basically, I want to examine the 'large plant pot' in a location. Initially I want it to say "A small ceramic plant pot, filled with grey soil".

I then want to read a note that says 'there is a key for the door in the plant pot', and after reading the note the 'examine text' for the plant pot is updated to add "You see a glint in the soil". to the end of it. I also want to move the key to the container, a.k.a the plant pot.

To accomplish the former I've added an alternative description to the plant pot which is only shown when the condition of 'brass key must be in plant pot' is met.

For the latter I've created a SPECIFIC task which overrides 'puts objects in others' with the brass key being put inside the plant pot. The restrictions are 'the note must be held by the player' and 'the brass key must be hidden'. The action is then to move the key to the plant pot.

However when I test it, I examine the plant pot AFTER picking up the note and the key is not there and the text has not updated. I can't see where I'm going wrong

If someone would help me I would be so grateful!
DannyBurnley

Re: My task isn't executing properly (BEGINNER)

Postby saabie » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:16 am

If your specific task overrides the 'put objects in others' task then it only runs when the player types a command like "put key in pot" which is not what you want.
You want your specific task to run when the player reads the note, so that is the general task that it needs to link to.
It should be set to "Run After" the task "Read Objects" so that the text of the note is still displayed.
Click on the blue underlined "object" in the command field and change it to the note.
Now when the player reads the note your task will run.
saabie

Postby DannyBurnley » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:34 am

Thankyou very much! That's a huge relief. I'm very very new to all this.
DannyBurnley

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:28 am

DannyBurnley wrote:Thankyou very much! That's a huge relief. I'm very very new to all this.

Just a quick hello and welcome... I hope you enjoy your stay with us in our corner of the IF universe. :yeah:
Don't hesitate to ask if you run into problems... This is not the busiest forum in the world, so it may take a little while before your question is answered.. But don't give up hope :wink:
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 29Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Return to ADRIFT 5.0