ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

My character is misbehaving ...

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

My character is misbehaving ...

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:55 am

Below is a transcript of Anno 1700

For some reason the command >x woman doesn't work when I enter the office, whereas >x susan does.
The character Susan has the following features.

Proper name: Susan
Article: a
Prefix/Adjective: young
Descriptor/noun: woman - owner

Properties:
Location of the character: At Location
At which Location: Office
Character Position: Standing

What to show when character is at the location: A young woman stands leaning over the big desk. She greets you with a big smile as you enter.

Is the character known to the player (not checked)

Transcript, moving from Reception to the Office.

> in
You move in.

Office
The first thing you notice is the huge desk of weather beaten oak which dominates the room. Placed close to the window with a beautiful view over the ragged cliffs and the azure blue ocean. A tall leather chair is placed behind it facing the door.
The room is nicely decorated with various maritime artifacts and two paintings of whom you believe to be Lulu-Belle and Captain LeBeuf are hanging side by side on the wall closest to the desk.
Behind you, to the north the door leads out to the reception. A young woman stands leaning over the big desk. She greets you with a big smile as you enter.

> x woman
You see no such thing.

> x susan
This must be the owner of the hotel. She's of average height and weight, and the pounds have been very nicely distributed on her, with just the right amount on all the right places. Her blondish hair cascades down, reaching her nicely rounded shoulders. Her greenish eyes sparkle with life and laughter, and a little dimple in her right cheek gives her a girlish look.
She's wearing a summer dress with her bare feet slipped into a pair of sensible shoes.
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
True North 17Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: My character is misbehaving ...

Postby Lazzah » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:29 am

I think it may have something to do with how you have defined the name and title of the character. Please see attached little demo where I have recreated the location and character - X WOMAN works. I would advise that you create a general task for if the player types X SUSAN before you know her name.
Attachments
Anno1700.taf
(15.27 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Postby saabie » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:23 pm

Descriptor/noun: woman - owner
This requires the player to enter "x woman - owner"
You just need to create an alternate noun "woman" in addition to the one you want displayed.
saabie

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:40 pm

saabie wrote:Descriptor/noun: woman - owner
This requires the player to enter "x woman - owner"
You just need to create an alternate noun "woman" in addition to the one you want displayed.

Sorry
saabie... my bad... The descriptor should have shown:
woman
owner

two different inputs.
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
True North 17Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby ralphmerridew » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:54 am

Could you export to a module, and then copy-paste the part related to Susan? That would avoid some of the ambiguities.

Without that, my guess is that the words "woman" and "Susan" should be switched. See if setting "is the character known to the player" causes "woman" to work.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Return to ADRIFT 5.0