ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Variables?

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Variables?

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:59 pm

I'm having problems with one of my variables and it interferes with the conversations with one of my characters.

I've made a specific task overriding unlock object with object… (In this case unlock door with key)
The task should work since I get the output I have created. But for some reason the action "set variable suitcase to ´1´doesn't happen.

I can't see it happening in the debugger (which I thought I would)

The problem comes when the player talks to the character Susan. If variable suitcase equals 1, she will answer his question, but all I get is: Susan doesn't appear to understand you!

Second question. Is it safe to delete the Time system folders in the developer? (Just curious)
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (On backburner)
Anno 1700 Fourth beta test in progress.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Variables?

Postby Denk » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:31 pm

P/o Prune wrote:Second question. Is it safe to delete the Time system folders in the developer? (Just curious)
Assuming you haven't applied the variables, tasks etc. from the time system elsewhere in your game, you can delete the contents of the time system folder but you may have to be a little careful, otherwise the tasks may reappear.

If you don't do anything about the time system, the commands TIME and SLEEP respond according to the time system. Thus you should either delete the time system folder contents or disable the functionality.

What I would do, is simply to change the tasks "Check Time" and "override default Sleep - wake up in morning" into system tasks. In this way, they can never be called by the player. If you do that, the time system will not have any effect on your game.

If you want to delete the time system folder contents, make sure that you have unticked the time system in settings->libraries, otherwise the contents may reappear when you reload your taf-file.

Also, delete the contents of each subfolder before deleting the folder, to avoid the contents reappearing somewhere else. I would say that ADRIFT is a bit bugged here.

No matter what you do, remember to save under a new file name in case something goes wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby ralphmerridew » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:16 pm

Does it have quotes around the 1, or did you add those when typing this up? If so, what happens if you remove them?
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:05 pm

Lazzah solved the problem :thanks:

Hi Finn,

The problem is that the synonym you have created for "lulu Belle = Lulu-belle" seems to be what is interferring with the conversation. I deleted the synonym and ASK SUSAN ABOUT LULU now gets the correct response.
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (On backburner)
Anno 1700 Fourth beta test in progress.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Return to ADRIFT 5.0