ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

BEWARE - Synonyms mess up conversations!

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

BEWARE - Synonyms mess up conversations!

Postby Lazzah » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:23 am

P.O. Prune had a problem with his game where a certain conversation topic ASK ABOUT LULU wasn't producing the correct response, when all the rest of the topics did. I discovered that he had created a synonym for the character name Lulu Belle where the synonym was Lulu-Belle. I deleted the synonym and the command ASK ABOUT LULU then worked.

I suppose this is a bug, but the chances of getting it fixed are - unless Campbell comes back full-time - virtually zero, so I won't bother adding it to the bugs page. :(

CAMPBELL - please come back - we need you!!!! :yeah:
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Re: BEWARE - Synonyms mess up conversations!

Postby ice_wanted » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:47 pm

Couldn't you just have added a additional subjects in the conversation to support the synonym response? (ie: lulu, lulu-bell, lulu bell). I'm assuming there was a reason for the synonym in the first place.
ice_wanted

Postby ralphmerridew » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:01 am

Synonyms were probably a workaround for limitations on how tasks worked prior to ADRIFT 5. Since those limitations have been fixed, it's probably best to avoid synonyms altogether.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby ice_wanted » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:34 pm

I find synonyms quite useful in very specific use cases. That said, I agree they should be used with moderation to avoid unforeseen behaviors.
ice_wanted

Return to ADRIFT 5.0