ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Extremely Strange Crashing behavior (probably loc. names)

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Extremely Strange Crashing behavior (probably loc. names)

Postby The0didactus » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:54 pm

Hello everyone.

I'm hoping you can help me solve a huge huge problem which threatens to wreck my game right before its release. Hopefully, this is a problem someone has run into before.

simply put, there are SOME locations in the game that I cannot edit. I made the location, put everything in the location, they are workable locations in all respects

...except when I try to save changes made to literally anything about them, the editor immediately crashes. This happens regardless of what I'm trying to change: location name, descriptions, etc.

This problem has happened twice now, and i think it either has something to do with the names I've given the locations, or their position on the map or something. I intuit this because every other room in the game works just fine. Basically, I built a "maze" of rooms numbered 1 through [x], and it is only rooms in this maze that are glitched. Every other room works just fine.

Last time it happened, I just deleted every room, and then rebuilt the maze.

...but it happened again.

What is causing this, and how can I stop it from happening?

Alternatively, as a creative challenge, help me come up with the best solution to this problem: for testing and debugging purposes, I gave these rooms short location descriptions numbered 1 through [x]. I don't want the player to see THESE short location descriptions. What's the best way to hide them without editing the rooms themselves?
The0didactus

Re: Extremely Strange Crashing behavior (probably loc. names

Postby ralphmerridew » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:52 pm

1: Export the file to .amf. (If you can't do that, I have a program to extract the .amf from a TAF5 file.)
2: Edit the .amf with a text editor. (Notepad++ is probably a good one. Don't use Word.)
3: Reimport that .amf file. (Or create a new .taf from the edited .amf.)

----

Alternate way: Use text substitutions to replace the placeholder descriptions.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby The0didactus » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:45 pm

ralphmerridew wrote:1: Export the file to .amf. (If you can't do that, I have a program to extract the .amf from a TAF5 file.)
2: Edit the .amf with a text editor. (Notepad++ is probably a good one. Don't use Word.)
3: Reimport that .amf file. (Or create a new .taf from the edited .amf.)

----

Alternate way: Use text substitutions to replace the placeholder descriptions.

If I can't think of anything else I'll use your first idea.
The alternate way won't work. The room names are 1, 2, 3 and so on, so replacing them will just replace numbers with hellacious effect.
The0didactus

Postby ralphmerridew » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:55 am

The problem could be that when you gave the rooms numbers for names, it chose internal identifiers that were numbers, and that's what's messing things up.

(Bad part is that, if that's the case, you'd need to change, not just the rooms, but all the places that refer to one of those rooms. In that case, you'd might be best off deleting the rooms, recreating them with some placeholder text in front of the numbers, and close the room to save it. Then you can rename the rooms as needed.)
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby The0didactus » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:05 am

I think you're right ralph,
For the future record: the problem clearly has something to do with giving rooms numbers for names, and connecting them, because every time i've done that, it creates a cluster of rooms that crash upon editing.

Curiously, it is NOT just creating a series of rooms with numbers for names. I've got two other games I've done significant work on where each location is just a number, and they work fine...because the locations aren't connected?

I think we're too late in the design process for me to implement ralph's suggestion and just do it again. I was hoping to send this to playtesters in a few hours. Perhaps the maze will just have numbered rooms...
The0didactus

Postby saabie » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:26 pm

ADRIFT Developer seems to have a built-in protection that detects room numbers 1 to 9 and generates a valid key like "Location1" instead of just using the number.
However, if you use number 10 and above this does not work and you get a key starting with a number (But only if you also have the advanced setting "Generate key names from item names" turned on).
I could not cause a crash in my testing so there must be something other than simple links and restrictions causing the problem.

Have you displayed the key names of the locations (Click the funnel icon next to the red X at the top right of the folder window and tick KEY)
If you can save any of the locations with numbers as keys then you can change the key by saving it with a different name, right-click on it in the folder and select COPY, right-click on a blank line in the folder and select PASTE, then delete the original.
saabie

Return to ADRIFT 5.0