ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Lit / unlit room

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Lit / unlit room

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:15 am

I'm in a bit of a fix here and could do with some urgent help.
In my game Anno 1700 the player can enter a cellar.
Default description is that the cellar is dark (simplified)
But if he's carrying object "A lit lantern" alternate description should show, giving a description of what's in the cellar.
The problem is that even if the player is holding the lit lantern and goes down from the kitchen the default description shows up and only if he >look wil the alternate description be shown.

What am I doing wrong here?
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 29Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Lit / unlit room

Postby saabie » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:33 am

I can't see anything wrong, the "Moving from kitchen to cellar" task should execute LOOK after moving the player and that should give the correct description if they are holding "a lit lantern" at the time.
Can you copy the (full detail) debugger output for the climb down the ladder command into a forum post?
saabie

Postby Denk » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:54 pm

I checked out your game and found that the default description of "Cellar" is set to "only display once". Uncheck "only display once" and everything seems to work fine.

PS: If you are going to update your game at some point, perhaps the requirement should not be that the player should be holding the lamp for the alternative description to be shown, but instead that the lamp should be visible to the player character (please test, don't take my word for it). As it is now, the cellar is dark if you drop the lantern in the cellar.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:54 pm

Denk wrote:I checked out your game and found that the default description of "Cellar" is set to "only display once". Uncheck "only display once" and everything seems to work fine.

PS: If you are going to update your game at some point, perhaps the requirement should not be that the player should be holding the lamp for the alternative description to be shown, but instead that the lamp should be visible to the player character (please test, don't take my word for it). As it is now, the cellar is dark if you drop the lantern in the cellar.

I checked it out and it works absolutely fine.
However, I find it confusing that "Only display this once" overrides everything else.
It must be possible to come up with something more clear.
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 29Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby saabie » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:27 am

There are a couple of bug reports on the bug tracker about this being confusing.
Whenever you use "Only display once" it always grabs the next tab as the text to display the next time this first tab should be shown.
The restrictions and display controls on this tab seem to be completely ignored as it is controlled by the "Only display once" tab.
It really should be a nested series of sub-tabs, or at least disable the restriction entry and display control drop-down fields so it is obvious that they don't apply.
saabie

Return to ADRIFT 5.0