ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Aggregate Output????

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Aggregate Output????

Postby Lazzah » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:07 pm

Hi y'all,

Could some kind knowledgeable Drifter please explain - in layman's terms - what "Aggregate Output, where possible" means? Also, what would happen if I untick the box?

Thanks in anticipation! :Thanks:
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Re: Aggregate Output????

Postby saabie » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:37 pm

Lets say that the player specifying multiple objects, eg: "get the ball, the bat and the vase" to a task with an %objects% reference. The "Aggregate output, where possible" checkbox is normally ticked and causes each of the the text messages output by the task to be combined into one. For the above example this will produce "You take the ball, the bat and the vase.". If this checkbox is not ticked then a separate message is produced for each object, eg: "You take the ball. You take the bat. You take the vase."
You would normally only want to untick the box if you want to display a list with related references like:
"Sally is holding the ball
You are holding the bat
George is holding the vase"
If "Aggregate Output, where possible" is ticked then these would be aggregated into one sentence:
"Sally, You and George are holding the ball, the bat and the vase."
which does not tell you who has what.
saabie

Postby Lazzah » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:39 pm

Thanks saabie, that explanation was clear as a bell! :Thanks: :bravo: :claps: :yeah:
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:04 pm

Lazzah wrote:Thanks saabie, that explanation was clear as a bell! :Thanks: :bravo: :claps: :yeah:

Hec yeah! Even I understood it :shock:
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
True North 17Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Return to ADRIFT 5.0