ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Starting position of character

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Starting position of character

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:58 am

Is it possible to start off your player inside an object?
In my next game I want the player to start off inside an object, ie a box of some kind. He has to break out and will then be standing in the first location.
Or should I simply make the "box" the first location and then let the player go form that one to the next?
Which is easier??
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
True North 17Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Starting position of character

Postby Lazzah » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:33 pm

P/o Prune wrote:Is it possible to start off your player inside an object?
In my next game I want the player to start off inside an object, ie a box of some kind. He has to break out and will then be standing in the first location.
Or should I simply make the "box" the first location and then let the player go form that one to the next?
Which is easier??

I would make the inside of the box a location. When the PC breaks out of the box, make it so that the box is ruined and the PC cannot get back inside. Saves a LOT of work! :yeah:
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Postby saabie » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:46 pm

For the record you can start the player on or inside anything as you wish, but I agree with Lazzah that a location is better in your case.
In fact anytime the player goes inside an object it is better to have it as a separate location as otherwise they can still fully interact with everything outside the object.
saabie

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:33 am

I'm going to go with Lazzah's solution. Having thought about it (over a bottle of whisky :wink: ) I find that it'll be the easiest thing to do.
Task: Getting out. Entering "outer" location. Transferring object "Box" to outer location. Smart Eh?
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
True North 17Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Return to ADRIFT 5.0