ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Flashing Text

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Flashing Text

Postby Lazzah » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:07 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to have flashing text in ADRIFT games. I believe there is an HTML tag <blink> but it doesn't work.

:Thanks:
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Re: Flashing Text

Postby saabie » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:03 am

The <blink> tag was removed from the HTML standard years ago because it was so horribly over-used that it annoyed everyone, and they were afraid it might trigger epileptic fits.
No browser or recent HTML software library supports that tag.

Animated GIF images don't work inline with the text either, so at the moment you can only have flashing text in the graphics window. (and you would need software that makes animated GIFs)
HTMLBlinkElement.gif
HTMLBlinkElement.gif (1.09 KiB) Viewed 43 times

You could do something with timed events though, clearing and re-writing the screen.
With two sub events of 1 second duration, one could write the screen of text with the flashing word included and the other with it replaced with spaces.
This would look like that word is flashing at half a hertz.
You would have to stop the event when the player enters any command, perhaps using a priority 1 "*" task with the "Continue executing matching lower priority tasks" option?
saabie

Re: Flashing Text

Postby Lazzah » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:45 am

Thanks saabie! :Thanks: :bravo:

It was just for a warning that flashes up on a computer screen, thought it might add a bit of realism. I might have a go at the method you suggest, just to see what it would look like.
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Return to ADRIFT 5.0