ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

ADRIFT 4.0 source?

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

ADRIFT 4.0 source?

Postby Gio » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:34 pm

Clearly ADRIFT evolved quite a bit between 4 and 5, with each taking a different design path (or path to design?) not entirely compatible with the other. If Campbell still has the source for ADRIFT 4.0, perhaps we could convince him to release it? I don't know if this has been asked and answered elsewhen, so apologies.
Gio

Re: ADRIFT 4.0 source?

Postby P/o Prune » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:38 pm

Hi Gio.
Forwarded your request to Campbell:

"I have no plans to at present. To be honest, I wrote it so long ago, it's a complete mess, I'd be too embarrassed. At least the 5.0 code is reasonably structured."
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 31Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: ADRIFT 4.0 source?

Postby Gio » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:23 pm

Gio wrote:While not a perfect analogy, I am beginning to think of ADRIFT 4 and ADRIFT 5 as two different species, though ones with a common ancestor. I don't know if Campbell still has the source for ADRIFT 4, but if that was released then the ADRIFT 4 "species" would have a better chance of survival.

Aside from that, there are other things that could be done to clarify the divide in a non-confrontational way; the biggest (perhaps) would be to split the local game database into A4 and A5 sections, followed by propagating that distinction into the greater IF community as a whole.

(Self-quote from another thread)

Thanks for passing that along, P/o Prune. I certainly understand his point of view, though I'd definitely give him my thumbs-up! My quote explains my reasoning at the time. =)
Gio

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0