ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

The Dead of Winter

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

The Dead of Winter

Postby The0didactus » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:32 pm

Over the course of the 2019 Polar Vortex, I was trapped inside for 2 days. I decided, as a challenge, to try to make a very large game as quickly as possible. It's rough, and could do with some interface and quality-of-life upgrades...but it's a large, finished, and challenging game. It's already been playtested by some people on Lumin's discord, and Lumin herself.

http://www.adrift.co/game/1516

Like a lot of my games, this is fundamentally a survival game. It's not about solving puzzles with object interaction, but about learning as much as you can about a world, and eventually, defeating it. You will probably die a lot.

Description from the ADRIFT site:

You are a poor fisherman, trapped in a war you have no hope of understanding. In the dead of winter, it falls to you to deliver a message to one side...or another. Does the choice even matter? Are you doomed to die? This is a very harsh survival game, consider each move carefully, type RULES to see the rules.
The0didactus

Re: The Dead of Winter

Postby Lumin » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:34 pm

Game is good, can confirm.

You will die a bunch, can also confirm. But at least you guys won't have a monk trolling you with false directions with his very last breath!
Currently working on: A big fat fantasy CYOA using this sweet map.
Lumin

Re: The Dead of Winter

Postby The0didactus » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:52 am

Previous versions of the game had a East/West transposition in the opening instructions, because I am a terrible person.

This bug has been fixed, however, I am still a terrible person so other bugs are certainly possible.
The0didactus

Return to Game Discussions