ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

# key problem in Runner

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

# key problem in Runner

Postby Lazzah » Wed May 08, 2019 9:30 am

Hi all,

When playtesting any game using the ADRIFT Runner and running a transcript, on my laptop pressing the # key changes the cursor in the text input box to a hand holding a pen, whereupon you can insert a comment which the author can read, it starts with "@". I am running Win 10, BTW.

My playtester in The Netherlands, whose name will not be revealed to protect the innocent ( :haha: ) tells me that pressing the # key on his keyboard does nothing. ISTR this problem some years ago when everyone was using WInXP.

Does anyone know which key must be pressed?
WIP: The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch

ALSO AVAILABLE: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest

COMING SOON: Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Re: # key problem in Runner

Postby P/o Prune » Wed May 08, 2019 10:15 am

Without revealing his name (also to protect the innocent) I can inform you that your Danish play tester has the same problem. :wink:
A theory could be that, like you suggest, the # key is positioned in a different place. Your Danish play tester, for instance, is using a Danish keybord with the letters "Æ, Ø, Å"

Gave it a quick test. On the Danish play tester's (may his name forever stay secret :roll: ) keyboard, pressing "Alt Gr" and then the letter "Ø" will change the cursor to the hand holding a pen.
So I guess the other mortals will have to go by trial and error too :wink:
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 64Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Denk » Wed May 08, 2019 11:00 am

I found something online called virtualkeyboard.biz

Here you can figure out which keys corresponds to which keys in other countries. For instance I found that "ø" on a danish keyboard corresponds to "#" on an english keyboard. This fits with ADRIFT since I have to press "ø" to bring up the hand holding a pen (unlike P/o Prune I do not need to press "Alt Gr" at the same time for some reason).

Similarly, on a dutch keyboard "@" corresponds to "#" on an english keyboard (if I understand it correctly). So I think that your tester in the Netherlands needs to press "@".

It is important that nothing is written in the keyboard prompt when pressing "@".
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Postby P/o Prune » Wed May 08, 2019 11:09 am

Denk wrote: (snip) For instance I found that "ø" on a danish keyboard corresponds to "#" on an english keyboard. This fits with ADRIFT since I have to press "ø" to bring up the hand holding a pen (unlike P/o Prune I do not need to press "Alt Gr" at the same time for some reason)

How did you know it was me? :shock:
I never did try just pressing the "ø" key (did just now and you are right. :yeah: )

You solve one problem, then create a new.
If you change your mind and don't want to write a comment after all, how do you get the cursor to revert to "normal" ?
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 64Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Denk » Wed May 08, 2019 12:14 pm

P/o Prune wrote:If you change your mind and don't want to write a comment after all, how do you get the cursor to revert to "normal" ?
You can press "arrow up" or "arrow down", then previous typings comes up which you can then delete.
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Postby DazaKiwi » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:03 am

I'm using a British or US standard keyboard/configuration and # nor @ changes to the a pen icon (although i have accidentally done this in the past and never knew what it meant or what key(s) i had pressed).

Anyone else with British or US keyboard configuration know what the key is to turn on this pen/comment function?

(Of course we still can comment if we want to, but this pen functionality means a turn wont be counted right i believe.)

*Update* Finally worked out how..see post below..
Last edited by DazaKiwi on Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DazaKiwi

Postby DazaKiwi » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:16 pm

I accidentally stumbled onto finding the hotkey for being able to make comments in a transcript:

This hotkey will work for US and UK keyboard layouts.

adrift Code: Select all
Toggle Comment mode, Press the following keys: Shift  "
both shift and " keys have to be pressed together. The icon on screen where you type will change when you do. If you want to exit out of this mode without writing anything press spacebar then enter key. It will go down a line and return to normal.

You will to be able to write a comment or note without Runner computing it.
DazaKiwi

Return to ADRIFT 5.0