ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Points Scoring in ADRIFT games

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Points Scoring in ADRIFT games

Postby Lazzah » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:17 pm

Hi all,

I have just commenced work on a new game, the 7th in the Alaric Blackmoon series. In all of my other games I have scored points for completing puzzles and doing other optional actions, etc.

What do other Drifters think about point scoring? Would it bother you if you finished a game but didn't score all of the points? Should I bother with them at all in this new game?

Answers on a postcard please to this forum! :haha:

:Thanks:
WIP: The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch
ALSO AVAILABLE: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run!

COMING SOON: Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest & Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Re: Points Scoring in ADRIFT games

Postby Denk » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:55 am

I like point scoring for the sake of keeping track of how far I am into a game. However, if I complete a game I rarely care about the final score, so optional points I tend to ignore. Exceptions are games where the main objective of the game is to get a high score, such as "Junior Arithmancer" and "Captain Verdeterre's Plunder", where I tried to maximize my score.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Re: Points Scoring in ADRIFT games

Postby The0didactus » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:53 am

If done right, a score is a great way to signal to players that it's worth replaying the game in a puzzler. If you build it so the first "win" is likely to get you ten points out of 25 or whatever, I'll likely play again to see what else I can do to raise my score.

I've only made one game with a real scoring system, I'll likely make one again someday
The0didactus

Return to ADRIFT 5.0