Annual IF Comp 2020

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Annual IF Comp 2020

Post by P/o Prune »

Lazzah wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:06 am Ditto. :haha: At least I wasn't last. Now the challenge, for me, is to produce a small game that could completed in an hour or two with commands that these modern erks won't have any trouble with! They obviously don't like having to actually THINK about the solution to a puzzle.
Did you do the survey, Lazzah?
One of my comments was that I found it too bad that there were no "room" for larger games in the competition since the judges only had two hours to play and evaluate each game.
As for the commands, I really hope that implementing Denk's combined library will iron out some (most) of the differences between the various platforms. (at least when it comes to the parser)
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 81Kb (possible entry for IFComp 2021 :wink: )
Lazzah

Post by Lazzah »

P/o Prune wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:55 am
Lazzah wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:06 am Ditto. :haha: At least I wasn't last. Now the challenge, for me, is to produce a small game that could completed in an hour or two with commands that these modern erks won't have any trouble with! They obviously don't like having to actually THINK about the solution to a puzzle.
Did you do the survey, Lazzah?
Survey? What survey? Please point me in the direction!
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Denk

Post by Denk »

P/o Prune wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:55 amOne of my comments was that I found it too bad that there were no "room" for larger games in the competition since the judges only had two hours to play and evaluate each game.
Spring Thing is intended for longer games than IFComp. Having said that, this years co-winner "The impossible bottle" took me 7 hours(!) to complete without hints. So longer games can certainly do well in IFComp. But as you mention, the judges' scores are based on the first two hours. They might have judged differently if they finished the game before voting.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Lazzah wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:48 pmSurvey? What survey? Please point me in the direction!
I got an email from Jacqueline about the results of the comp. and there was this link.

Please take this year's survey while thoughts of your experience are still fresh:
https://forms.gle/RdFvnMcNQ3p1SLHK6
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 81Kb (possible entry for IFComp 2021 :wink: )
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

Lazzah wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:06 am Now the challenge, for me, is to produce a small game that could completed in an hour or two with commands that these modern erks won't have any trouble with! They obviously don't like having to actually THINK about the solution to a puzzle.
IF is just a genre that winnows out the impatient and inattentive, and unfortunately the IFComp is designed to make everything played in a hurry. It's always interesting introducing players to a game and seeing how they approach it.

Taking a classic like Anchorhead, I encountered two people in their 30s and 40s with a background in IF who failed to even get into the real estate office and blamed the game for 'lack of direction'. And then I showed it to a 19 year old girl who had only played non traditional games like Skybreak and Tingalan. She got through that part easily and solved almost the entire thing in a day....and then lost her entire game right near the end because she thought Ctrl+S was how you saved. :(

But it turns out reading and getting invested were the secret ingredients all along. Which checks out with my own experiences, since other than time constraints the main reason I'd ever bail on a game is if the actual writing itself was too dull or sloppy to hold my attention.