Mystery Fun House

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.
Lyricasylum

Mystery Fun House

Post by Lyricasylum »

In Scott Adams' Mystery Fun House game, has anyone tried kissing the mermaid? Or kissing the lady at the admissions desk?
R2T1

Re: Mystery Fun House

Post by R2T1 »

Can't say I have, but now I am intrigued. Will have to dig it out and give it a whirl.
Lyricasylum

Post by Lyricasylum »

In both cases,
Spoiler
the game says, Weeee!
R2T1

Post by R2T1 »

Yes. I had kissed the ticket lady but I haven't got to the mermaid yet.
That response seems pretty tame by today's standards, but back then it was probably as far as Scott was willing to go. After all, most players were kids. (I was too) so authors needed to be careful what they put in games so that their rating wouldn't be jeopardised.
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

R2T1 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:19 am Yes. I had kissed the ticket lady but I haven't got to the mermaid yet.
That response seems pretty tame by today's standards, but back then it was probably as far as Scott was willing to go. After all, most players were kids. (I was too) so authors needed to be careful what they put in games so that their rating wouldn't be jeopardised.
Actually I'm pretty sure that nowadays, reviewers would be pretty shook by that Wheeeee! and complain that your game treated sexual assault as a funny flippant joke.
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

R2T1 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:19 am Yes. I had kissed the ticket lady but I haven't got to the mermaid yet.
Actually I'm pretty sure that nowadays, reviewers would be pretty shook by that Weeee! and complain that your game treated sexual assault as a funny flippant joke. (And never mind that they voluntarily typed the command to find it...)