ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Work in Progress thread 2009 - 2010

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Postby Cowboy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:20 am

Work in progress thread 2009 – 2010.

This is a new updated version of the “Work in Progress thread” that David started way back in 2007. A couple of years have passed and it could be interesting finding out what games are actually in the making.
Also progress updates will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

So far we have the following: (Updated September 05 -2010)
41 games added, 2 completed and 1 abandoned
Welcome to InteractiveFictionTV.. Good luck with your game.

Alsnpk: Memorize - Race Tactics - Existence
DannyL7773: Melancholy Blood
Dannymac247: Battlestar Athena - Hunting ground 2 - Zombie Trail
Djchallis: Project Clocks
Duncan_B: Planets Apart - To end all wars - IQSFoT
Hensman Int'l: "Ba'Roo!" - under revision. (v4.0) - "The Magician's Niece" - active WIP (v5.0) - "The Successor" - low priority revision (v4.0)
"Smack" - low priority WIP (v4.0) - "SADR" - concept phase (probably v5.0) - "Batman - Fearsome Foursome Fisticuffs" - concept phase (probably v5.0)
InteractiveFictionTV: "Deep Into That Darkness Peering..." (Un-reg v.4)
KFAdrift: Family ruins
Kingboo: Ghost Story
Kronos: The Merlin Bird of Prey
Lumin: Firebrand - Nine Kingdoms
Mel S: Arthur Winslow's Futuredome 3000
NickyDude: Where are my shinpads!?
NigeC: Furkwitt and the Crab Apple ..... Abandoned
Po. Prune: Through Time (chapter I) - D-Day - Return to Camelot (V.5) - Anno 1698 (V.5) - Camelot Released.
Phate 1128: Phantom Star
Phkb: Cursed
Rainbowscape: Space Detective
Ren: City Driftwood CoR
Rotter: Taken
Seciden Mencarde: Castle Hyperion
Simply Ryan: Paradise city - Sandwich Quest
Speacecadet: My Messy Office.
Tiberius Thingamus: Yon Astounding Castle! of some sort .... Released

Edited By Po. Prune on 1283714517
Ghost town V 1,05: Adrift best game of the year award 2009
WIP:
"Through Time" Idle
"D-Day" Prog rep: Feb 16
Char: 5 Events: 5 Tasks: 185 Objects: 156 Rooms: 34... Size 47Kb
Cowboy

Postby Cowboy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:27 am

Having started this 2009 WiP thread let me be the first to tell about my game: ;)
Working title is: Through Time and it will probably be the final title too.
It’s a Sci-Fi / History game and you play the role of a Texan farmer who’s not doing too well.
One night, you are abducted by a spaceship from the future. They need your help to go back in time and correct certain events that have been tampered with.
At this time: July 20, 2009 I have completed the beginning, and 5 time travels with 5 more to go.
The game will have graphics and sound (like Ghost town)
WIP:
"Through Time" Idle
Cowboy

Postby Kingboo » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:49 pm

I shall inform you all about one of my several games that I am working on, Ghost Story.
I shall inform you...IN SONG!!!

(note: read to the tone of youtube's magical trevor 2.)

He's back, and he's got a new game.
Wonderful Evan's not nearly as lame
as the last time, the last time you saw him.
Now you can see why we really adore him

This new game will have you engrossed.
About a man who wakes up and finds out he's a ghost.
He doesn't know why, what should he do?
Where should he go? It's all up to you.
What do you think?
Let's hear from you

:thanks:

Hope you liked it.
I'll tell about my other games some other time.

P.S. Through Time sounds like an amazing game. I would love to be able to try it sometime. ;)

Edited By Kingboo on 1248317726
Today's word of the day is...
pneumonoultramicroscopicsiliconvolcanoconiosis

Work in progress...
Ghost Story
Rooms Objects tasks events characters
35 26 8 0 0
Kingboo

Postby Lumin » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:28 am

Kingboo wrote:I shall inform you all about one of my several games that I am working on, Ghost Town.

I think Cowboy's going to want to have a word with you. :p
Lumin

Postby Duncan_B » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:41 am

Eh, his sig says it's actually called Ghost Story, so I'm assuming that was a typo.
Duncan_B

Postby Kingboo » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:59 am

Lumin wrote:
Kingboo wrote:I shall inform you all about one of my several games that I am working on, Ghost Story.

I have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about. ;)
Today's word of the day is...
pneumonoultramicroscopicsiliconvolcanoconiosis

Work in progress...
Ghost Story
Rooms Objects tasks events characters
35 26 8 0 0
Kingboo

Postby Lumin » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:45 am

Duncan_B wrote:

Eh, his sig says it's actually called Ghost Story, so I'm assuming that was a typo.

Darn, and here I thought we'd get to see them have a friendly little fight to the death over the rights to the title or something. Oh well.

Anyway, since I'm posting here I guess I should probably contribute, so against my better judgment I'm going to talk about a couple of my more sizable fantasy WIPs.

1.) Firebrand

An unknown female fire mage incinerates several of the Emperor's personal guard in a failed assassination attempt, and your guild decide that you, also a female fire mage, are going to have to take the fall.

While you are awaiting execution, the assassin strikes again - and this time succeeds. The new Emperor then strikes a deal with you to help hunt her down in exchange for your freedom, and optionally get revenge on your cowardly guild leaders.

The setting is basically finished, but I've gotten kind of bogged down with the details of the NPCs and plot - there's supposed to be lots of intrigue and backstabbing and honest to God multiple paths that are more than just 'choice A for ending A, then undo and choice B for ending B'.

I think I've really gotten in over my head though, and right now am seriously considering stripping out a lot of the overly ambitious stuff...I'd rather have a solid linear game I actually finish someday than a bunch of awesome ideas I don't. :(

2.) Nine Kingdoms (generic working title)

I'm not really sure what to say about this one. It started off with me fooling around with the idea of a one-room 'town' that somehow became a one room kingdom and now there are...well, guess how many.

It's sort of CYOA-ish, I guess. You can visit the castle, talk to the townspeople, work on a farm, or go out hunting, all without actually going anywhere in the traditional NESW sense, unless you decide to travel to another kingdom.

They're all thematically very different and IMO kind of fun to just tool around in, but alas there's no actual plot as of yet...

Annnd of course talking about these here means the Curse will take effect and I'll never actually finish them now...you know, unlike all the many, many other games that I have finished.

P.S. Cowboy, it'd be nice if we could go ahead and just generally discuss the games here in this thread if we wanted too. I just don't see the point of those kind of 'traffic control' restrictions on a forum that could really use all the discussion it could get anyway, and I know at least I'm too lazy to make a brand new thread just to quote somebody talking about their game so I can say "Hey I like this idea. That is all."

Edited By Lumin on 1248320849
Lumin

Postby Cowboy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:26 am

P.S. Cowboy, it'd be nice if we could go ahead and just generally discuss the games here in this thread if we wanted too. I just don't see the point of those kind of 'traffic control' restrictions on a forum that could really use all the discussion it could get anyway, and I know at least I'm too lazy to make a brand new thread just to quote somebody talking about their game so I can say "Hey I like this idea. That is all."

It wasn't intended to be any kind of "Traffic control" (I'm sorry) :(
I just thought it would be easier to check, if people didn't have to go thought a lot of "chit chat" trying to find the news about games.
But I agree with you that little comments give more of an atmosphere. I have edited my original posting... ;)
WIP:
"Through Time" Idle
Cowboy

Postby alsnpk » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:38 pm

Can we have an actual list at the top, too? (like David started in the old WIP thread) :) (Edit: thanks! =) )

My currents, in the order I mean to finish them, are:

-Memorize, which is a little system to help memorize text. It's not that far away from being finished, I've just had to mess around with it a lot to get it working. Now I just have to add a few more sections.

-Race Tactics, which I haven't done much more than think about for a couple years but I really want to make. What I'm going for is essentially a semi-linear, semi-randomized strategy/RPG/adventure game using a list system.

-Existence. I figure I should add this to my list since some people have said they'd like me to make more than just an introduction to it! At this time, I intend to work on the other two first, but it's possible inspiration will strike before I finish RT. We'll see.

Edited By alsnpk on 1248451764
Released:
For competitions: Business As Usual; Oh, Human; Existence (intro); Motion
Shared names demo: "Guys, Guys"

Works in various stages of progress:
Y'know, things and stuff...
alsnpk

Postby Hensman Int'l » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:40 am

To expand on my signature... I do want to complete "The Magician's Niece" by the end of Sept. but my time is not such that I can work on it every night. As a teaser, "TK Kidnappings" is a potential sequel. :cool:

Every so often I reopen my files for "Ba'Roo!" and Smacking forum spoof (no working title yet). Maybe when ADRIFT 10.9 is released with telepathic programming. :p Nah, not that long...

"The Successor" was released once, but preliminary input suggested some changes. Mayhaps the alpha testers want to see v2.n?

"Fearsome Foursome Fisticuffs" is mainly in my mind and may wait for ADRIFT 5.0 due to some technical difficulties (or that's my excuse).
Officially and Fully Released:
The Fly Human (v.4) - 2010
Brain Dead Weekend (v.4) - 2011
Hensman Int'l

Postby djchallis » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:09 pm

Hello friends!
I'm still here and still working on Project Clocks.

For those who can't remember (I've been promising this game for over a year now) it tells the story of a guy who hears gunshots coming from a house as he passes. When he goes to investigate he hears someone being attacked, but he is unable to get there to help. He realises that as he walks around the house he's traveling through time. As the player, you must use the information you can gather from the past, present and future to unravel the mystery of the house and help the victim!

I'm still going through the plan for the story (which is the most important part for me). But rest assured, I'm still working away at it...
Game in the works - Project Clocks - on hold for a bit.
Game finished - I am the Law for the OddComp. Looking forward to finishing Clocks so I can show what I can really do!
Current focus - Some microIF. Short experiments to test ideas and actually release something!
djchallis

Postby Ren » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:39 am

I've picked up an untitled first person noirish detective story I was working on way back when. It's about 25% complete.

Given that I have only just worked out what I was doing with it, I'll be looking to do some initial alpha testing on it in the immediate future, if anyone is interested.

PM'd offers of help gratefully received.
Ren

Postby Mel S » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:36 am

I'm working on Arthur Winslow Presents: Arthur Winslow's Futuredome 3000 - An Arthur Winslow Game and if it is completed, I'm confident it will be very good and as funny as 4 episodes of Empty Nest combined.
Mel S

Postby Hensman Int'l » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:10 am

Progress report for The Magician's Niece...

After a two week hiatus to work on other life priorities, I'm aggressively attacking the game. I may have a beta version available much earlier than anticipated. :yeah:
Officially and Fully Released:
The Fly Human (v.4) - 2010
Brain Dead Weekend (v.4) - 2011
Hensman Int'l

Postby Cowboy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:35 am

Good luck Hensman ...
Looking forward to see the end result...
Are you considering entering the Twin comp?
WIP:
"Through Time" Idle
Cowboy

Next

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0