ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

WIP 2011

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

WIP 2011

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:22 am

WiP 2011
The general idea of this thread is to share your WiP with other “Drifters”
Let's hear about your masterpiece, and at the end of the year, let's see how many games have actually been released.

Author: Alsnpk
Race Tactics: which I haven't done much more than think about for a couple years but I really want to make. What I'm going for is essentially a semi-linear, semi-randomized strategy/RPG/adventure game using a list system.
Existence: I figure I should add this to my list since some people have said they'd like me to make more than just an introduction to it! At this time, I intend to work on the other two first, but it's possible inspiration will strike before I finish RT. We'll see

Author: AndrewF
Voyage of the Starfarer A SciFi game, where you find yourself alone in a .... well, you'll find out when you play it...

Author: Cypher_x
License to Adventure (v.4): Ye Olde Kingdom of Ryannar awaits new and daring adventurers but can you acquire the proper guild license first?

Author: Donugee
Beyond Rozstad, all around Duizenia! It's not the final title. It's pretty much about going all around Duizenia, interacting with various characters from the stories I have written, with a few extras I haven't completely made yet.

Author: Duncan B
Given a Choice?: Originally started as part of 2008's OddComp, this story allows the player acts as a guide through a horribly turbulent day in the life of an introverted, socially inept teenager.
The Revenge of Dr. Deadkovich: Originally begun for Ectocomp 2009, the player controls the reanimated corpse of a mad scientist in his quest for revenge against a ghastly troupe of conspirators.
Irvine Quik & the Search for the Fish of Traglea: Originally initiated as a writing exercise to help its author learn ADRIFT back in 2004, this sci-fi adventure takes the player through the quest of a hapless, depressive scaredy-cat to learn personal confidence and save the planet Traglea.

Author: Hensman Int'l
Brain Dead Weekend (v.4) - Released Intro: One must not become confused and think this is a story of Arthur Dent, or Zaphod Beeblebrox (although through an amazing coincidence no matter where in the known universe and even the unknown regions, everyone has some connection by six links of separation to the former President of the Galaxy), or Trillian (who is the wrong gender for this story), or even Ford Prefect. Rather it is of one humanoid by the name of Probert Hardfard. What is startling is the high number of humanoids who look human. Despite the obvious alien forms such as the Vogans, G'Gugvuntt, and Vl'Hurg, a large percentage of life forms have the physical appearance of a human, although the internal organs may be radically different. Such as the case of the D'dorgamol. Here is a species whose brains and body may separate and often do. For most life forms the brain has the judgment to differentiate between right and wrong, good and bad, and override the body's basic urges. The D'dorgamol found this very inconvenient and decided to let the body have a vacation from the brain from time to time allowing the body to tell the brain to ****** off while it has a good time. The brain of Probert Hardfard has decided it has been without a body long enough and is urgently trying to reunite itself.
Ba'Roo! (v.4): under revision. Intro: You are on vacation in the Peruvian mountains when you come upon some undiscovered ruins. Careful not to disturb or damage anything, you enter what appears to be a small temple. You realize that this is just a surface entrance to stairs going to stygian depths... And so do you as you slip on some moss.

Ba'Roo! (v.4): under revision Intro: You are on vacation in the Peruvian mountains when you come upon some undiscovered ruins. Careful not to disturb or damage anything, you enter what appears to be a small temple. You realize that this is just a surface entrance to stairs going to stygian depths... And so do you as you slip on some moss.
The Magician's Niece [v.5): recovering from crash, active WiP. Uncle Maynard was the only magician in our family - heck, our extended family for four generations. In fact, we were the only family in town that had a mage of any rank. Shortly after I turned 12, Uncle said that I might have the talent also - would I like to learn magic? Would I?! Of course I jumped at the chance and at 16 I am doing very well at elemental spells (not elementary spells - I finished them at 13!), and can cast more advanced spells with a quick read in the Magician's Tome. Oh, by the way, if you have any questions, just "ask Ariana about..." - that's me of course!
The Successor (v.4): Still low priority revision: College is over and you are finally out on your own. Yet life seems so dull. Where is the excitement and the dreams of childhood? Although... you do feel as though someone has been watching you. Paranoia? Or wishful thinking of some elaborate adventure? You let the thoughts drift into the past and continue to live your life. While out shopping, you encounter an individual whose gaze seems to penetrate through you. He strides up to you and annouces with force, "You have the qualities I am looking for as a successor. Prove it to me!"
Smack (v.4) Low priority revision: Private NoClass Jeff Walksfunny has finally reached the rendesvous point for disembarkation from this *@! planet. "All right, Mut said to proceed to the sign post which will point the way... OW!" as Jeff smacks his face on one of the arrows of the pole.
The Sidewinder Affair: Shortly after I came home after a busy week at work and was relaxing with a glass of sherry, the postal mouse slid a letter under my front door. Not normally expecting delivery of letters at this time of night, I did not wait for my coon-servant to gather it up and leave it for my morning activities, but took it directly myself.

M Elfrid Mole,
Please come to the home of M Ssvavier Sidewinder.
Your investigatory skills would be appreciated in a
Personal and Private matter.
October 14, 1910

Considering that my public life is more discrete and most are not aware of my hobby of investigations, my curiosity was piqued enough to want to determine what my acquaintance Ssvavier wanted. I immediately rang the servant bell and announced, "Kckeven, I want you gather my 'tools' and meet me at M Sidewinder's abode." I then proceeded to change my evening dress for a more appropriate semiformal attire.

SADR (v.5): concept phase. A'llo, I'm Sad'r - lest you think I need a therapist - that stands for Self-Assembled Defense Robot. Serial number six six wilco adam (weapons augmented) oh two three. Right now I need to pull myself together to get ahead in the game. Yes, bad pun, since that's where I am at - a head. Internal gyros allow me to roam around to find my parts, then I can determine why I was activated in the first place.
Batman - Fearsome Foursome Fisticuffs (v.5): concept phase, uncertain if will actually develop but still keeping it on my list.

Author: MikeDesert
Tenderloin (V.5) It's my first game. I've made 9 locations, 2 npcs, and many objects so far, but as I am just learning Adrift, I'm about to start it all over (same map and descriptions, but much more cleanly designed and made using Adrift 5).
It has a crack-smoking oracle.

Author: PHKB
Cursed Accused of murdering your best friend, you are about to face the death penalty. But the king throws you a lifeline - instead of death you are cursed, transformed into a beast. Now a epic journey awaits you as you try to stay alive long enough to unravel the mystery of who the real murderer is, why your friend was killed, and somehow undo the curse.
Currently 330k in size (v4), I'm now approaching the finish (well, at least finished for testing). It's only taken 4 years...

Author: Po. Prune
D-Day (v.5) : You play the role of one of the thousand Allied soldiers walking ashore June 6 1944. your first task is to make it off the beach, but what lies ahead no one knows.
Anno 1698 (v.5) : As a college student majoring in history, you have taken a break from the studies. A summer job as a receptionist at an old hotel on the Lousinana coast gives you all the history you ever wanted.
Return to Camelot (v.5) A sequel to my Adrift summer comp 2010. Having spent all your wealth, you have settled as a private detective in an obscure part of lower Bronx. Your days go by in totally boredom until suddenly an unexpected client turns up. submitted to IF Comp 2011

Author: Seciden Mencarde
Tenebrae Semper An update of my latest EctoComp game, is the story of a college student who wakes one morning to find the campus deserted. The game is thematically similar to the Forest House trilogy in that you uncover secrets of your own past to discover your true identity.
Forest House Trilogy An updated collection of my three Forest House games, extended and almost fully rewritten, plus music and sound effects. The focus will be on bringing the three games together into one coherent story. They will still be separate games, but you will need to complete them in order: the second and third games will be locked with a password given by completing the previous game. As for the story, you play Jonathan who at key points in his life is haunted by a house in the forest. You slowly uncover the meaning of the house and why it has haunted you all your life, eventually coming to a deeper understanding of your self.
Castle Hyperion Is my fantasy adventure game that has been in development (and scrapped about thirty times) since the moment I joined the ADRIFT community. You play as Prince Rillian who stumbles upon an underground castle which holds much history and many secrets, as well as traps, hostile beings, and other forms of danger. This is meant to be a puzzle-based adventure romp more than a story-based game.

Author: Xypher
Geek.exe: you are a young freshman in collage who has been labeled a geek his entire life. working against a weak heart, you decide to dedicate yourself to proving you are "cool" through the use of your genius. though, a strange twist of fate really doesn't help your case.
puzzle genre; humor, some themes of horror/thriller, and hopefully this new 'drifter can try to bring some new things to the plate. don't get excited though. :blush:

Edited By Po. Prune on 1301671082
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 138Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Seciden Mencarde » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:44 am

I'm hoping to get a more functional release of Tenebrae Semper and a re-release of the Forest House Trilogy by the end of the year.

Fingers crossed on Castle Hyperion but we all know how that goes (as in, unending development Hell). Maybe this will be the year...
~ Velly

Works in progress (estimated release): Forest House Trilogy (Summer 2011), Tenebrae Semper (Fall 2011), Castle Hyperion (Summer 2012)

Music
Seciden Mencarde

Postby phkb » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:41 pm

My WIP is "Cursed": Accused of murdering your best friend, you are about to face the death penalty. But the king throws you a lifeline - instead of death you are cursed, transformed into a beast. Now a epic journey awaits you as you try to stay alive long enough to unravel the mystery of who the real murderer is, why your friend was killed, and somehow undo the curse.
Currently 330k in size (v4), I'm now approaching the finish (well, at least finished for testing). It's only taken 4 years...
My IF-related stuff can be found here
phkb

Postby phkb » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:50 am

Sorry if I sound pedantic, Po Prune, but my nick is "phkb'. Given it's an acronym, it's kind of important (in an unimportant sort of way).
phkb

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:40 am

phkb wrote:Sorry if I sound pedantic, Po Prune, but my nick is "phkb'. Given it's an acronym, it's kind of important (in an unimportant sort of way).

Oops.. Sorry about that...
I just thought I'd move you up a little higher in the alphabet :p
It's been fixed now...
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby phkb » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:04 am

Thanks
phkb

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:30 pm

Ok.. That's it then...
I am happy to announce that RtC is now finished as far as the object of the game goes. I still need to do a little work on one or two of the rooms, but the game can be played and won. It is now going to Beta
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Xypher » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:10 am

go ahead an add me... i'm up for a little motivation, if you catch my "drift" ;)

"geek.EXE"; sci-fi with bits of fantasy
you are a young freshman in collage who has been labeled a geek his entire life. working against a weak heart, you decide to dedicate yourself to proving you are "cool" through the use of your genius. though, a strange twist of fate really doesn't help your case.

puzzle genre; humor, some themes of horror/thriller, and hopefully this new 'drifter can try to bring some new things to the plate. don't get excited though. :blush:
Current Projects:
geek.EXE [progress: /HIATUS/]
UNREG. Comp. 2011: [progress: working]
Xypher

Postby Chascoda » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:37 pm

I have one!!! :D

It's called "ALSOL", Anti-linearity simulator of Life.

You start out, as a regular person, of course. You choose your own gender, and name, but it is not applied in the game(I didn't want to make two different games, one for female, one for male).

You begin the game in your house, a barren, broken-down home. You can upgrade your walls, ceilings, and floors, and also buy decorations for your house. The neighbors(Only a few, since I have a limit) will have a kinder attitude towards you if you make your house look better, since you live in a community village(If that's what it is). However, you might find your house is more fun to live in that it seems... Will you simulate life and try to make the best of it?

Wellhp. END TRANSMISSION
xD
I don't gopher that.. -_-
Chascoda

Postby AndrewF » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:48 pm

I am currently working on the same one i've been working on from the start... :blush:

Voyage of the Starfarer
is a SciFi game, where you find yourself alone in a .... well, you'll find out when you play it rofl

edit: I have the real intro if people are intersted, I just thought it was a bit long for here.

If you play it :oh-no:

I think i may have more imagination than ability. This thing just keeps growing... :O

It currently has 526 rooms, 417 tasks, 133 objects, 10 characters and 39 events... and i'm only about half way through putting in the room descriptions (allthough they all exist) and working features... let alone the rest of the actual puzzles and game tasks... :oh-no:

Edited By AndrewF on 1297426183
Never appeal to a mans "better nature". He may not have one. Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.
- L. Long.

Current Work In Progres: "Voyage of the Starfarer." R=530, T=435, O=173, C=11, E=37
AndrewF

Postby DCBSupafly » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:28 pm

Nice to see what people are working on.

@Alsnpk: I was intrigued when I first saw the idea of Race Tactics. Is it too much of a spoiler to give us a sense of what gameplay will actually involve?
DCBSupafly

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:19 pm

DCBSupafly wrote:Nice to see what people are working on.

Yes.. and interesting to see how many games will actually be completed... ;)
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby jankupila » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:50 pm

I would like to take part to this. It's a long term project called Dragon Sword. It's a traditional fantasy game. You fight with the goblins, spiders vampires etc and you collect arms and armour, you raise in a level rating and do quests. The game is 25% done. The deadline is summer 2011.

My other game is advertures of Mathias. I haven't decided about it else than there is lot of puzzles.

Edited By Icefall on 1297952917
Programmers are in a race with the Universe to create bigger and better idiot-proof programs, while
the Universe is trying to create bigger and better idiots. So far the Universe is winning.
jankupila

Postby Tech » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:33 pm

Icefall wrote:You fight with the goblins, spiders vampires etc and ...

As per the Alliance of Minor Races Accord of 804 IC, Vampires are a non-aligned, non-violent race. With such status, any heroes caught harrassing them will be fined 100G and *smacked*.

Feel free to continue your profiling against spiders and goblins. The first is non-sentient and the second's general intelligence did not allow them to coherently participate in the Accord.
Unlock the *smacking* thread!
Killer Speedy Bees Hum the Hymn of IF Salvation - ADRIFT.
Peaceful Pokey Bees Scream the Chords of Natural Langage IF.
Tech

Postby MikeDesert » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:38 pm

I am working on one tentatively called "Tenderloin". It's my first game. I've made 9 locations, 2 npcs, and many objects so far, but as I am just learning Adrift, I'm about to start it all over (same map and descriptions, but much more cleanly designed and made using Adrift 5).
It has a crack-smoking oracle.
Last place winner of Adrift 2011 Ectocomp
MikeDesert

Next

Return to Game Discussions