ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Goldilocks Is A Fox

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Postby davidw » Thu Oct 24, 2002 10:08 pm

Goldilocks Is A Fox by the Amazing Poodle Boy

From the title you might get the impression that this is a rather silly game. You'd be right too.

Goldilocks is a Fox is a strange mishmash of fairy tales: the Goldilocks of the title, a big bad wolf, three bears, a fairy godmother, Sleeping Beauty, Prince Charming, etc. And references to the three pigs also pop up from time to time.

The story is pretty much nonsense from the word go but it's handled in such an amusing manner that you find yourself not minding how ridiculous and farfetched it all is. In fact, part of the game's charm is that it's written strictly tongue-in-cheek and isn't afraid to let it show.

As the game begins, you, as the eponymous Goldilocks, have just returned from a crazy art party and have decided, as you do, to walk through a dark wood on the way home (well, I did say it was nonsense). The wood is pretty much just a way to get from the start of the game to the three bears' cottage - where the game begins in earnest - but it has a few interesting pieces that add to the humour of the game: Goldilocks' cry of "ooh, I'm so scared" popping up in the location description, the big bad wolf appearing and mistaking Goldilocks for Little Red Riding Hood (who is, alas, missing from the game). Indeed, the wood is an interesting set of locations in its own right.

The game properly opens up when you reach the three bears' cottage and have to figure out just how to get inside and what to do once you're there. Getting inside isn't easy but shouldn't cause too many problems if you just try everything. One interesting thing I found about the cottage was how much larger on the inside it is than on the outside!

The original version of the game which was entered (and which didn't win for some inexplicable reason) in KF's mini-competition contained a walkthru. Using this if you get stuck is a handy way to get around the harder puzzles in the game (and a few of them are hard) but it also spoils much of the enjoyment you get from solving them yourself.

Unlike so many comedy games, Goldilocks is a Fox doesn't just go for the quick humour and forgets about the game side of things. Take away the comedy and the general silliness and there is a very well put together game here. There are some quite intricate puzzles (the one with the large chair in particular being a favourite of mine) and while not every puzzle is logical or straightforward, for the most part they don't require too much thought on the part of the player to solve. That said, this isn't a game that you're likely to solve in the space of a single sitting; which is probably just as well as there are a fair number of good ideas here that would be ruined if you played the game through too fast.

Logic: 7 out of 10
Despite being essentially a nonsense game set in a world where fairy tales come to life, Goldilocks is a Fox had a nice logical feel to it.

Problems: 10 out of 10 (10 = no problems)
I didn't find any bugs in the game and, believe me, I looked and looked.

Story: 8 out of 10
Even though the source material - Goldilocks, the three bears, etc, etc, - is hardly original, Goldilocks is a Fox has had enough work expended on it that it comes across as a whole new experience.

Characters: 8 out of 10
The big bad wolf was the sort of character you could probably base an entire game on. He mistakes Goldilocks for Little Red Riding Hood and then turns to up at the three bears' cottage demanding to see the three little pigs (for "see" read "eat"). There are several other characters in the game but none quite as amusing as the wolf.

Writing: 8 out of 10
Way above average and with some interesting location descriptions and dialogue with the characters in the game.

Game: 7 out of 10
A close tie with Wonder Wombat and Troll! for best comedy ADRIFT game.

Overall: 48 out of 60
davidw

Return to Game Discussions