ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

TAPB's One Room Competition

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Postby Woodfish » Sat Mar 22, 2003 7:06 pm

The Competition run by The Amazing Poodle Boy has now drawn to an end, with eight entries. There were only two requirements - the games must contain only one room, and it must have been created with either an unregistered version of version 4, or 3.90 and below. The results and scores are as follows:

1: The Dead Man by 30otsix (26.77)

2: A Day at the Office by DavidW (26.33)

3: Montahue Scott and the Mobius Belt by the Mad Monk (25.7)

4: Escape from Insanity by Mel S. (23.6)

5: Everything Emanuelle by MileOut (22.1)

6: I by Christopher Cole (20.33)

7: Trapped with a Girl by Schoolsinger (18.8)

8: Dreamland by Echo (15.8)

I'll be putting up some reviews later - to everyone else, let's hear your comments on the entries.
Woodfish
Woodfish

Postby davidw » Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:09 am

The Dead Man
by 30otsix

Pretty good for a game set entirely in a single room. The writing and storyline were way above average for Adrift games... but it wasn't without its problems.
Guess the verb was bad in a few places - using the syringe was a long way from straightforward - and the events that had the screen flashing white and then moving all the items you were carrying onto the floor left a lot to be desired. It was also annoying having to stand up again every time the event ran or be told that certain tasks couldn't be completed because you were lying on the floor.

Most of the events could have done with some speeding up: being forced to sit and wait through the intro or the time when the man bangs on the metal door each time you play the game was irritating and cuts down on replay value although with it being a game set in a single room there isn't a lot of replay value anyway.

But bad points aside, this was a great example of how you can get a reasonably decent game in just one room.

6 out of 10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Montahue Scott And The Mobius Belt
by The Mad Monk

A strange interpretation of the "one" room rules aside (the game is set in one room but the player needs to travel to another to find an item needed to complete the game) this is actually quite amusing. The plot makes no sense whatsoever - although the title may have given away the fact that this isn't an entirely serious game - but there is enough gameplay packed into the one and a bit rooms to make up for any shortcomings.
Though Montahue Scott And The Mobius Belt can be completed in a fairly short number of moves, it isn't a particularly easy game. The task involving getting the communication device fixed had me stumped for a while although in hindsight it was a reasonably straightforward puzzle.

5 out of 10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Escape From Insanity
by Mel S

With echoes of The Evil Chicken Of Doom (another of Mel S' games), Escape From Insanity is a strange little game in which you have been consigned to an insane asylum and must figure your way out. Though quite inventive, the game was let down in parts by guess the verb problems and also by the player being alternatively referred to as "I" and "you", making things more confusing by the moment.
A short game, but not an easy one. Escaping from your padded cell at the insane asylum isn't easy and requires quite a bit of thought to make much progress; sometimes obvious things don't work and it's down to a simple case of try everything and hope something succeeds.

5 out of 10

Everything Emmanuelle
by MileOut

I was expecting to like this one (MileOut's first game since Panic) but it left me quite disappointed. It's certainly well written and engaging up to a point, but it also seems vaguely pointless. There's no score system so it's difficult to judge whether you're actually making progress or not, and while the multiple endings of the game are a nice touch they don't really seem to indicate if you achieved anything. Ultimately I was left with the impression that this was an attempt to do something different and while it succeeds at being different it doesn't succeed very well.
4 out of 10

Dreamland
by Echo

Even for a one room game, this was small. Dreamland seemed to consist of nothing more complicated than filling a waterskin and then subsequently emptying it, although this wasn't as easy as it sounds due to some truly dire guess the verb problems.
Writing a review for a game like this is a struggle because there's so little on show here it's difficult knowing where to start. The intro was at least reasonably engaging and there's the makings of something worthwhile here, but ultimately Dreamland suffers from being so straightforward that it's essentially over before it's even started. A few more puzzles - indeed any puzzles - would have been nice.

3 out of 10

I
by Christopher Cole

Not the sort of game I was expecting from someone with the writer's reputation for adult fiction, and not really my sort of game either.
The one room in this game is a coffin in which the player is lying (presumably having died at some point). Making progress isn't just hard, it's downright nightmarish: indeed it's one of those games where I just couldn't figure out a way to progress at all, ended up looking in the Generator to see what I had to do next and then sat there thinking "well, how is anyone going to figure that out?"

Sorry to say this but I'd have sooner had one of the games Chris is more usually known to write. It would have beaten this one hands down.

2 out of 10

Trapped With A Girl
by Schoolsinger

Well, one game had to be my least favourite and unfortunately it was this one. There was a strange event in the game that kept repeating itself every turn and which gets steadily more irritating as you go along (didn't the writer notice this during playtesting?) The spelling was truly dire - vaccum instead of vacuum, Jasmin sometimes being referred to as Jasmine, exscuse instead of excuse and so on.
I actually found this the hardest of the competition entries to play and after making little progress I just gave up, cheated, and looked in the Generator.

It's probably unfair to judge a one room game by the same standards as you would a full game but by any standards Trapped With A Girl doesn't rate very highly.

1 out of 10
davidw

Postby The Mad Monk » Sat May 24, 2003 5:44 am

Woodfish wrote:I'll be putting up some reviews later - to everyone else, let's hear your comments on the entries.

*a-HEM*
In related news, Kenneth Ham reveals that he knows precisely squat about fossils. Film at eleven.

That's Poodle's lovely avatar up there...
The Mad Monk

Postby Woodfish » Tue May 27, 2003 4:22 pm

I don't see YOU contributing anything, Monk. And I said I'd put them up 'later', a non-defined amount of time after the time of posting, actually. :p
Woodfish
Woodfish

Postby The Mad Monk » Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:04 am

*a-hem aHEM* :p

POODLE'S ONE ROOM MINICOMP
THE ENTRIES TO BE JUDGED

GAME 1
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Dead Man" by 30otsix (Version 4.00)

INVENTIVENESS: [ 6 ] PLAYABILITY: [ 6 ] MECHANICS: [ 6 ] ENTERTAINMENT [ 6 ]

Comments:

After the black on white text pops up, all my stuff was gone. Why? Nicely executed game, and it should be expanded, 30otsix.

Score: 24 of 40
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GAME 2
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Dreamland" by Echo (Version 3.90)

INVENTIVENESS: [ 4 ] PLAYABILITY: [ 6 ] MECHANICS: [ 6 ] ENTERTAINMENT [ 6 ]

Comments:

Short, obvious, to the point. Ouchie with the guess-the-verb. Some things I tried, like 'put waterskin in pool', were not valid, whilst others like 'drop waterskin in pool' were strangely okay. Don't get it.

Score: 22 of 40
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GAME 3

"Everything Emanuelle" by Stewart J. McAbney (MileOut) (Version 3.90)

INVENTIVENESS: [ 4 ] PLAYABILITY: [ 8 ] MECHANICS: [ 8 ] ENTERTAINMENT [ 8 ]

Comments:

The diary is illegible--it won't allow me to read the text. I had to open up the Generator to see what the fuss was about. I also couldn't see the ending after reading the diary, finding the necklace, and finding the wig. Opinion of 7, I believe.

Score: 28 of 40

GAME 4

"I" by Christopher Cole (Version 3.90)

INVENTIVENESS: [ 6 ] PLAYABILITY: [ 6 ] MECHANICS: [ 5 ] ENTERTAINMENT [ 5 ]

Comments:

Lovely writing, but... I'm sorry, but the puzzle sucked. I would never have thought to examine my heart. After that, all you did was wait for the game to end, too. Good writing, though.

Score: 22 of 40

GAME 5

"Escape from Insanity" by Mel S. (Version 3.90)

INVENTIVENESS: [ 2 ] PLAYABILITY: [ 6 ] MECHANICS: [ 5 ] ENTERTAINMENT [ 7 ]

Comments:

Ick, first person perspective in writing, third in the stuff like inventory and directions. Ouch. Usual guess-the-verb common in Mel S.'s games (sorry, Mel!) is present. Couldn't 'cut cord with knife', could 'use knife on cord'.

Score: 20 of 40

GAME 6

"Montahue Scott and the Mobius Belt" by The Mad Monk (Version 3.90)

INVENTIVENESS: [ x ] PLAYABILITY: [ x ] MECHANICS: [ x ] ENTERTAINMENT [ x ]

Comments:

xxx

GAME 7

"A Day At The Office" by DavidW (Version 4.00)

INVENTIVENESS: [ 5 ] PLAYABILITY: [ 7 ] MECHANICS: [ 7 ] ENTERTAINMENT [ 8 ]

Comments:

Fun game. Remember to put in some text for what happens when you haven't got a task requirement fulfilled, I was screaming bloody murder at the computer because I couldn't plug the telephone in, and it didn't know what I was talking about. Then it turned out that I hadn't yet examined the cabinet that time through the game. The game, for some reason, didn't end once I finished my work and was appointed God.

Score: 27 of 40

GAME 8

"Trapped With A Girl" by Schoolsinger (Version 3.90)

INVENTIVENESS: [ 2 ] PLAYABILITY: [ 5 ] MECHANICS: [ 4 ] ENTERTAINMENT [ 4 ]

Comments:

Guess-the-verb with the vacuum is awful. Typos pretty often.

Score: 15 of 40
In related news, Kenneth Ham reveals that he knows precisely squat about fossils. Film at eleven.

That's Poodle's lovely avatar up there...
The Mad Monk

Return to Game Discussions