ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

End of Year Comp

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Postby davidw » Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:29 pm

GAME 1

"Crimson Detritus" by Mystery

ORIGINALITY: 5 PLAYABILITY: 5 MECHANICS: 5 ENTERTAINMENT 4

Comments: Too short and not really enough of a game here to write a fuller review. On the whole it passes five minutes but little else. Might be an idea to expand it one day and add a few more things to do.

Total: 19 out of 40

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GAME 2

"To Hell In A Hamper" by Amazing Poodle Boy

ORIGINALITY: 8 PLAYABILITY: 8 MECHANICS: 9 ENTERTAINMENT 8

Comments: Very, very funny game that doesn't sacrifice gameplay for the sake of humour. Hubert Booby was an hilarious character who could have a whole game devoted to him and his strange ways. A few guess-the-verb issues aside, there was little with this game to find fault with.

Total: 33 out of40

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GAME 3

"How It All Started" by Kevin Treadway

ORIGINALITY: 6 PLAYABILITY: 7 MECHANICS: 4 - down from an original score of 8 due to the problems listed below ENTERTAINMENT 7

Comments: This had good points and bad points. On the good side of things, it was very well written (I especially liked the jokey style of writing that was evident throughout) and had a few interesting puzzles. The difficulty was set reasonably low, allowing the player to progress quite a way through without running into problems. On the down side, there were quite a few commands that aren't very obvious and would never have occurred to me if I hadn't read the walkthru: entering the grotto (at a time when I thought I *was* in the grotto); entering the basket but not being able to climb into it; and a particularly bad bug right at the end that rendered the game unfinishable ("flip switch" as detailed in the walkthru didn't work). Even entering the commands as detailed in the walkthru didn't allow me to finish the game. A pity because aside from these annoying aspects, this was a pretty decent game.

Total: 24 out of 40

GAME 4

"Temple Of The Sun" by Mystery

ORIGINALITY: 6 PLAYABILITY: 2 MECHANICS: 4 ENTERTAINMENT 3

Comments: One thing I often find annoying in games hit me here: constantly being moved to another location without being shown a description of the location. It might seem a small deal to type "look" but it sure gets frustrating! There was a very strange bug when I was moved to the cage and told I was sitting next to a man, yet when I tried to speak to him it turned out he was dead! Could this be the Queen of the Beta-Testers not getting a game properly beta-tested beforehand? Tut tut...

Errors aside, what did I think of the game? Not a lot really. It didn't seem very well written, made little or so sense whatsoever and contained a *lot* of non-obvious puzzles. It was also very, very linear: mostly I seemed to be forced along a set path with nothing to do except type "z" and wait for events to unravel themselves. All in all, not a disastrously bad game but one which I sense was written in a great hurry and could, dare I say it, have benefitted from some pretty thorough beta-testing...

Total: 15 out of 40
davidw

Return to Game Discussions