ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Whom The Telling Changed

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Postby David Whyld » Sun May 15, 2005 10:07 pm

Whom The Telling Changed by Aaron A. Reed

(((As featured In Reviews Exchange Issue 4)))

Another entry in the Spring Thing 2005 – and a game I'm not really sure what to make of.

It starts without any kind of background to set the scene (something I've never been a big fan of) and then… well, you leave your tent, speak to someone, get told to give a circlet to the storyteller… and the rest of the game just seems to be a story told by the storyteller. From time to time, you can make your own contributions by typing out the words in bold in the storyteller’s dialogue, but for the most part it’s just a simple case of sitting there and banging out “wait” commands one after the other. While an original idea (at least as far as I was concerned), it isn’t a particularly thrilling one. It also wasn’t helped much by the fact that to, begin with, I wasn’t even aware I needed to be talking to the storyteller or asking questions, so I simply sat there, hit “wait” and read the story as it passed me by on the screen.

Whom The Telling Changed isn’t a bad game but it’s one I just couldn’t seem to find any enthusiasm for. A better introduction, actually stating the premise of the game and what was expected of the player, might have helped.

3 out of 10
David Whyld

Re: Whom The Telling Changed

Postby Duncan_B » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:16 pm

I'm pleasantly surprised to see reviews for non-ADRIFT games up here, but Mr. Whyld seems to have missed something major about Whom the Telling Changed, especially if he opted to not interact with the storyteller during his playthrough (typing "wait" all the time essentially yields the story to the protagonist's rival). The game is short enough I'd suggest another playthrough, one taking an active role. Whom the Telling Changed is remarkably flexible, well-researched, and makes a strong point about the nature of discourse. In my opinion, it is a fairly incredible work of participatory fiction.

But don't just take my word for it: find it (along with release notes and further reviews) here and check it out for yourself.
Duncan_B

Return to Game Discussions