ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Somewhen

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Postby David Whyld » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:52 pm

Somewhen by Bryce J. Rhaiz

I often start reviews with a little blurb about what the game is about. This one is different. Why? Well, I'm not entirely sure what it’s about. You play the part of a journalist who has to get dirt on… something or other.

The game starts with your boss handing you a digital voice recorder and then rushing you out of his office. Unfortunately, the digital voice recorder then disappears from your inventory. Is this needed to make progress in the intro? If so, that would certainly go a long way towards explaining why I never managed to get anywhere.

There isn’t a whole lot to do in Somewhen. In fact, there's nothing to do in Somewhen. You can wander around a few locations – some of which have been properly written (hinting that if this was a full size game, it might actually be something special), some of which haven’t (i.e. you get a line of text compared to the lengthier descriptions elsewhere) – and that’s about all you can do. There are some bellboys in one location but I was neither able to speak to or examine them. Then again, I wasn’t able to examine a single thing. Is there anything to do here or is this the sole sum of the intro?

To be honest, this isn’t the sort of game that should have been entered in the Intro Comp. It should have been entered in the Game I Started But Got Bored With After Five Minutes And Gave Up Comp. Some nice writing can’t hide what is otherwise an intro that isn’t even finished.

Do I want to play the full game? No.

2 out of 10
David Whyld

Return to Game Discussions