ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

The Sword Of Malice

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Postby David Whyld » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:23 am

The Sword Of Malice by Anthony Panuccio

I've never been a big fan of intros to games that try to cram a huge amount of history into a few short paragraphs. Either tell the back history in a more interesting way or spend a while longer doing it. Here we have the entire history of your race - the Sekoniun - and their thousand year war against their bitter enemies - the Altari. The Sekoniun elders, it transpires, have discovered ancient texts that have told them how to create the ultimate weapon that will defeat the Altari forever. All they have to do is build it. How do they go about this? Organise a crack team of elite soldiers to gather the necessary pieces of the weapon together? Nah. Just get one helpless chap (i.e. you) to get all the pieces on your own. After all, it's the only the fate of your entire race hanging in the balance so it'd be overkill to send more than one person, right? And then you go and get yourself captured and thrown in a cell.

A cell that's pretty hard to escape from as the command listed in the walkthrough - PULL CHAINS - doesn't do anything. (PULL CHAIN, however, does work.) Some guess the verb with the chains and the bars in the door didn't help either. TIE CHAINS TO BARS won't work but PULL BARS WITH CHAIN will.

Does a bad start to a game equal a bad game? Not necessarily, but it did here. Once out of my cell, I wandered through a considerable amount of very empty, very dull locations. Most are a line or two in length and lack any kind of depth. Most, also, lack exits displayed in the text so most of my time seemed to be trying an exit at random, being told I couldn't go that way, and then trying another. Needless to say, it wasn't long before I was banging out the QUIT command with the belief that this game was a long way away from being ready to be submitted to the IFComp.

2 out of 10
David Whyld

Return to Game Discussions