ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Snatches

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Postby David Whyld » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:24 am

Snatches by Gregory Weir

I wasn't too keen on Snatches to begin with. The beginning of the game seemed poorly implemented, with locations being pretty much empty and there being little to do in them. But just about at the time where I was thinking that maybe I should quit it and go find some other Comp game to play instead, it began to improve. I got snatched.

The title refers to the game's strange habit of jumping from one seemingly unrelated scene to another, often also seemingly unrelated. What triggers the move from one part to another is never really clear - it happened after I started the car in one scene - although maybe the problem was that, once I realised Snatches was a game of many parts, I tended to try and get through the many parts as quickly as possible in the hope that I might get an explanation at the end of the game. Unfortunately not. The game ended with me even more confused than when I started playing it.

I ran into a strange error right at the start of the game which I wasn't sure was an error on the author's part or a strange flaw in the Inform program. Trying to open the door revealed to me that it was locked, yet when I attempted to go north through it I unlocked and opened it. Why does going north open the door for me yet the more obvious command - OPEN DOOR - not work?

Snatches is a series of very small games all joined together, although an explanation for each part is never really made clear. I moved from the first part (after struggling with some guess the verb issues in that START CAR was required instead of DRIVE CAR) to the second, and then from the second to the third, and so on, without really understanding what was going on. Some of the parts seemed to refer to other parts, although what the connection between them was I wasn't entirely sure. Most of the parts were so short that little more than a few minutes work was required to finish them off, yet quite often I would leave that part of the game and never be sure just whether I had achieved anything in it or not. Some, in fact, were even shorter than that. One I managed to complete by moving in a compass direction right off, and then I was snatched and taken somewhere else.

But while it was a confusing game that didn't make any kind of sense to me whatsoever, Snatches was still fairly interesting to play. Trying to fathom out what was going on, and wondering over just what kind of creature the shadow that popped up from time to time was, passed an hour or more pleasantly enough. I couldn't say I really liked the game overall but there was enough about it to make to me feel it was one of the few in the IFComp 2005 actually worth playing. I just wish I had a clue what it was all about.

5 out of 10
David Whyld

Return to Game Discussions