ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Chancellor

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Postby David Whyld » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:31 am

Chancellor by Kevin Venzke

This is what the hints file says about Chancellor:

CHANCELLOR is an epic adventure of legendary difficulty. Completing it is sure to cement your status as a champion adventurer in the immortal annals of adventure fame! Oh dear.

The little bit of Chancellor that I actually managed to play (all six locations of it) wasn’t so much legendary difficulty as legendary bad. Okay, that’s a bit harsh. It was reasonably well written. It’s just that… well, I didn’t have a clue what I was supposed to be doing and the game didn’t seem willing to give me any clue. All I'm told is that I have a task to be completed. And what might that task be? Beats me.

Maybe it involves getting the game tested more thoroughly before releasing it. This was my first command:

>n
(Opening the reddish door)
The reddish door is locked.

Followed by:

>open door
It’s already open.

>n
(Opening the reddish door)
The reddish door is locked.

Ouch and double ouch. Annoying errors in the very first location in the game aren't a good indication that the rest of the game is ever going to live up to much, but as I didn’t manage to play the rest of the game that’s probably not an issue.

The only NPC around was my father who I couldn’t get a meaningful response from no matter what I tried asking him. The conversation system used was the dreaded ASK NPC ABOUT SUBJECT thing as opposed to TALK TO NPC. At the best of times I find this a major pain as trying to figure out just what needs asking is a nightmare game of guess the verb. Here it was particularly bad. My father wouldn’t even tell me what it was I was supposed to do and after a dozen or more tries to yield some kind of response from him, I just gave up in dismay. Attempts to kill him were likewise unsuccessful.

In other location I almost got eaten by a mountain. Yep. A mountain.

As I didn’t have a clue what I was supposed to be doing, there was no walkthrough, and the only hints were coded (a great way to encourage people to quit playing your game incidentally), I found myself bashing out QUIT just as soon as possible.

2 out of 10
David Whyld

Return to Game Discussions