ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

The Former

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Postby David Whyld » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:50 pm

The Former by DirkW (a Quest game)

Straight off I ran into problems with this game. The first room description displays some text that keeps telling me I've just woken up – shouldn't that have been part of the introduction and not an actual room description? A room description, after all, is supposed to describe what's in the room, and this one doesn't. I'm also advised to ask my Data Assistant (whatever that is) a series of questions but no matter what I typed, I couldn't get a response. For that matter, I couldn't even see my Data Assistant.

The game doesn't really seem to have any kind of storyline. You wake up on the floor of a factory unable to remember anything. That's about it. Most of the game – that I managed to reach anyway – involved wandering around the factory and solving such puzzles as figuring out the exact right wording for opening a locked desk with a key. (OPEN DESK doesn't work, nor does UNLOCK DESK or OPEN DESK WITH KEY or UNLOCK DESK WITH KEY. By the time I hit upon USE DESK KEY ON DESK I was just about ready to slit my throat.)

Elsewhere I found several locked doors but the game didn't even understand either the OPEN or UNLOCK commands. Sheesh. You'd think that out of all the commands a writer might think to implement in his game that OPEN would be one of them. But not here unfortunately.

There was very little text in the game but what bit there was seemed to be littered with spelling mistakes and grammatical errors. There were also missing words, making some of the sentences jarring to read. Did the writer bother to read through his game before uploading it? I suspect not.

My total time spent playing this game was perhaps a little under twenty minutes, hence this fairly short review. But The Former, in its current state, is just about unplayable and twenty minutes was more than enough for me.

1 out of 10
David Whyld

Return to Game Discussions