ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Three Worlds

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Postby David Whyld » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:55 pm

Three Worlds by Zach Kelly (a Quest game)

Sometimes you play a game and you know – you just know – right from the very start that you're not going to like it. Three Worlds was one such game.

What's it about? Er... good question. There's no introduction at all. The game just starts with this wonderful description: YOU ARE IN EARTH. Ouch. The very first line in the game and already there's a grammatical error. Can it get any worse?

Oh yes.

Items are mentioned in the room descriptions of Three Worlds but they can seldom be examined. The first location lists "the Earth", "a magnificent stairway", "some clouds" and "a stairway of brimstone", but obviously these aren't considered important enough by the author to warrant even the most basic description.

Wandering around a little, I came across Heaven's Gate and St Peter. The Gate can't be opened – the program doesn't even understand the command! – and examining it merely informs me that if I use something as a lever I might be able to break the gates (that's 'gates' plural there whereas in fact there's only one gate mentioned previously). Elsewhere I found a golden sword just lying on the ground which, remarkably enough, was still listed in the room description even after I'd taken it and dropped it in another location. If all of that wasn't bad enough, and it was, the layout of the game is seriously messed up. Going south then north doesn't always lead you back to the same location. That might be deliberate but something tells me it was more likely as a result of careless programming.

By this stage, it was pretty obvious that Three Worlds wasn't going to be a game that I was likely to enjoy. So when I died a minute or so later – killed by Satan himself (complete with a terrible piece of spoken dialogue which repeated itself for no good reason) – I was ready to quit anyway. Incidentally, the game crashed when I died and I had to exit out of the programme to try it again.

All in all, Three Worlds is one of the worst games I've ever played and if this is anything of an indication of the overall quality of the games written with Quest, then it's poor reputation is well deserved.

1 out of 10
David Whyld

Return to Game Discussions