ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Spooked: Episode 1 - from the 2006 insideAdrift summer comp

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.

Postby Ren » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:00 pm

Spooked
by TDS

The smallest of the three summer comp entries by some way, Spooked features hyper-paced gushing text that makes you feel like you’re being hit with the story. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, though it can get confusing as the person changes, the game speaking as you or we seemingly at random.

My main criticism is that I was never entirely sure what was going on. Even after the getting the phone call, I mostly wandered around in confusion. I managed to stumble through the game, but there were so many words I never really got a handle on exactly what was happening. The off-kilter logic didn’t help, although the game itself wasn’t too difficult. Having finished it, it’s clear that this was just the introduction, but it still could have used a more obvious goal. It would have been easier to feel a part of it then.

I enjoyed interacting with the robot, and there was some fun stuff in the labs and later on; however, as a parody, I think it could have used some more jokes, especially at the very start.

The game feels a little untested. I couldn’t locate a few things from the description (the door to the Mad lab is locked, but you can’t see any door! etc), and no description kicks in when you enter the field lab.

I’d still play the sequel, but my main thought after playing this was ‘wha . . . .?’

Edited By Ren on 1153656186
Ren

Return to Game Discussions