Ectocomp

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.
J. J. Guest

Post by J. J. Guest »

This is to let you all know that I won't be running Ectocomp this year - I've decided to concentrate my free time on finishing Alias 'The Magpie', my own game for next year's IF Comp. I'm also involved in making a short film, Lofty Life 2, which means I'm going to be busy for the next few months! If someone else wants to take on the responsibility of Ectocomp, please do!

Sorry to disappoint,

Jason
In Progress: Alias "The Magpie", The Numberless Knots of Fohat

Visit my website:
http://www.jjguest.com
for Escape from the Crazy Place and The Visitation
Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

That is alright...
You will however be brought outside and shot of course ;)
Good luck with your game...
alsnpk

Post by alsnpk »

Yeah, good luck with your game (and short film)!
Released:
For competitions: Business As Usual; Oh, Human; Existence (intro); Motion
Shared names demo: "Guys, Guys"

Works in various stages of progress:
Y'know, things and stuff...
J. J. Guest

Post by J. J. Guest »

Thanks guys!
In Progress: Alias "The Magpie", The Numberless Knots of Fohat

Visit my website:
http://www.jjguest.com
for Escape from the Crazy Place and The Visitation
Duncan_B

Post by Duncan_B »

If no-one else is going to volunteer, I'll run Ectocomp this year. Entries due Oct. 31st.

Oh, wait, does anyone need a reminder of Ectocomp restrictions, etc.?
justahack

Post by justahack »

Thanks for volunteering Duncan!

Do the rules differ much from the 2007 and 2008 rules, as in just three hours to make?
Works in progress:

Silo. 20%
Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

Duncan_B wrote:If no-one else is going to volunteer, I'll run Ectocomp this year. Entries due Oct. 31st.

Oh, wait, does anyone need a reminder of Ectocomp restrictions, etc.?
Put them up here just in case...
And thanks for taking on the job Duncan.
Duncan_B

Post by Duncan_B »

No prob, guys. Rules will not differ from other years, though if possible I'd like to invite z-code and other games into the comp. What do you guys think? Should we start a poll?
NigeC

Post by NigeC »

other game engines? where would I find the rules etc?
justahack

Post by justahack »

Let's have a poll about including z-code entries. But, I don't have an objection personally.
Works in progress:

Silo. 20%
DCBSupafly

Post by DCBSupafly »

I know nothing of Ectocomp. Clue me in please!
Duncan_B

Post by Duncan_B »

Ectocomp is a Speed IF Competition for Hallowe'en. Entries can be darn near anything (they don't always turn out to be horror, though I will ask entries to try to keep to the Hallowe'en spirit in at least some way), but must be written in three hours or less. You can do all the planning you want, but the game itself must be written in three hours.

It sounds hard-- and it sort of is. But the challenge tends to bring out some unique pieces. In my own opinion (and feel free to interject your own opinion on this), I think entries tend to work best if they keep puzzles to a minimum-- check out revgiblet's Drinks with Lord Hansom and Lumin's Salutations. A strong narrative voice can also make the difference-- check out Mel S's entry, Return to Dracula's Castle II: Revenge of Dracula's Castle. Basically, my sense is that entries probably end up looking the best if they try to focus on just a few things and do them well.

Last year Ectocomp was quite successful. You can download last year's entries here to get an idea, and you can also find reviews of it here. Ectocomp 2007 is also available.

Judging will be done by form; we will probably use Abbi Park's scoring sheets. If you are interested in judging, please contact me before the submission deadline. You can enter the competition and judge, though you cannot judge your own game. Reviews will be published on the forum.

As for opening the thing up to z-code games, I will start up a poll.
justahack

Post by justahack »

I have a few questions regarding Ectocomp, actually.

Since it is meant to be a 3 hour event, what time will the event start on October 31st? In addition, which time zone will we use to start the event?

In regards to planning, are there any guidelines as to what construes as unfair planning? I mean, can I write stuff down on a piece of paper or notepad, just so as long as I can't use Adrift?

Or, if I do any planning, there can be no legible evidence? :D
Works in progress:

Silo. 20%
Duncan_B

Post by Duncan_B »

Since it is meant to be a 3 hour event, what time will the event start on October 31st? In addition, which time zone will we use to start the event?

You can write a game and submit it at any time before the 31st, if you so wish. We'll be using Eastern Standard Time, since that's my time zone and it just makes it easier on me.

In regards to planning, are there any guidelines as to what construes as unfair planning? I mean, can I write stuff down on a piece of paper or notepad, just so as long as I can't use Adrift?

I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure this would be something like what revgiblet did for his entry, "Drinks with Lord Hansom." I would only advise against it if it ends up making the game overlong.

On a related note, I have not yet decided on an appropriate prize. May default to a small monetary award for the winner... second & third place to be decided depending on the number of entries.
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

So, who all is entering this?