Getting audio and graphics to export in a blorb

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.
RoozdenScoot

Getting audio and graphics to export in a blorb

Post by RoozdenScoot »

I'm a bit confused about how to export a game and have the audio and graphics in the game work in the exported file.

The blorb option in the export menu says that it packages all the media used into a single file, but that can't be the case because the blorb is 179kb and when I open it all the sound and graphics are broken.

So is it a matter of where the files are located? because currently my game just references files on my hard drive. How do I get them to be packed in the blorb file?

Thanks!
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Getting audio and graphics to export in a blorb

Post by P/o Prune »

When you add your graphics and sounds, do you use the Graphics and Audio tabs? and add the correct path to your files?
If so, you shouldn't have problems with exporting your taf file as a Blorb.
Now, don't kill me. But could it be that your computer isn't "strong" enough to run the graphics and audio files?
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 93Kb (possible entry for IFComp 2021 :wink: )
RoozdenScoot

Post by RoozdenScoot »

I've used the graphics and audio tabs before, but I can't use them currently, as I need multiple sound files playing at once, and at specific times, and the audio tab doesn't allow for that as far as I know.

I add the audio using html tabs, like so:

<audio play src="D:\HIVE-QUEST\Sound files\Act I\sfx_sounds_fanfare3.wav" channel=2 loop=N>

This is as per the wiki. And it works when I run the game from the editor, or even from the blorb as long as my external hard drive is still connected. But when I disconnect the HD, the sound files are broken.

This shouldn't happen, since the blorb file is supposed to contain all the media files in the blorb, but it obviously isn't pulling them in.

I know it can be done, since I've downloaded blorbs from this site that contain graphic files, but I don't know how to replicate that.
My game relies heavily on audio, so I need to be able to distribute the game with sound working when I'm ready to launch or playtest it.
RoozdenScoot

Post by RoozdenScoot »

Haha, no offense taken at all, but it's definitely not my PC being unable to handle the audio/graphics. As I said, they work just fine as long as the game can read them from my hard drive.

When you export as a blorb, how are the media files supposed to be packaged up, and where? If I knew that, I might be able to figure something out.
ralphmerridew

Post by ralphmerridew »

If adding the files via the tabs works, but writing the HTML explicitly doesn't, then try this:
1) Make a task that will hold the data. Mark it as system, but don't call it anywhere.
2) Add all resources to that task using the tabs.
3) Also write HTML that will call those resources on other tasks.

I can also go into more detail about what's inside a blorb if you need the info.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
Denk

Post by Denk »

I normally use mp3-files and png-graphics. Just made a test with 8 channels of simultaneous music + graphics (both using html-tags) which worked fine. So I cannot reproduce the problem.

Example of working code:
<audio play src="C:\Users\kp\Desktop\IF\KPgames\Amazonlandet\Blob-Monsters-Return.mp3" channel=2 loop=Y>

Be aware, that if there is no message text at all in a task that calls the music, the music will not play. The same is the case with graphics.

If you could upload a sample file to the forum (zip-file containing the taf-file and sound-files), we might have a chance of reproducing the problem. Without that, it may be very time consuming, close to impossible, to find a workaround.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
RoozdenScoot

Post by RoozdenScoot »

I'll do that asap, thanks!

Just for clarity, the problem isn't getting the audio to play in the taf. I can run the adventure with working sound/graphics in the developer no problem, or even export a blorb and the audio/graphics will work, but only as long as my portable hard drive containing the audio/graphics is connected. The blorb itself is something like 150kb, so it's not packaging any of the files at all.

I'll make sure to try your solutions this afternoon and post the results here.
RoozdenScoot

Post by RoozdenScoot »

Okay, I recorded a video outlining the problem I'm experiencing and exactly what my process is.

https://youtu.be/vPuaY_9FUMw

Also, here is a link to a zip containing the sound files and taf: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wxOeHG ... sp=sharing

Hopefully this is enough to go on, but please let me know if you want more info.
Denk

Post by Denk »

You have been doing everything the correct way. ADRIFT knows that all media is included in the blorb, so when it runs a blorb, it ignores the original paths to the file.

I think I found the problem. At least I altered "Introduction and End Game" so that all the audio file paths were correct on my pc.

I then got the same problem as you - the audio files were not included in the blorb-file.

I experimented a lot and found the problem - at least with my modified version.

Under Options->Bibliography->Cover image

it said: C:\Users\Rusden.Scott\...\Annotation 2020-01-26 221522.png

I just deleted the cover image and everything worked.

Perhaps because it couldn't find it, I am not sure. But I normally do not recommend to put an image in "cover image" because it comes up in a confusing manner.

It may also have helped that I removed spaces in all the path-names.

I hope you get it to work on your machine too.
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Lazzah

Post by Lazzah »

Nice one, Denk, well done for sorting that out for RoozdenScoot! :claps: :yeah: :bravo:

P/O: I think Denk deserves some points for that!
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Lazzah wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:14 am P/O: I think Denk deserves some points for that!
I agree and I promise I'll get around to it asap. I'm so far behind that it's not even funny. :(
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 93Kb (possible entry for IFComp 2021 :wink: )
RoozdenScoot

Post by RoozdenScoot »

It worked!!

Thank you Denk for taking the time to help me out. I guarantee I never would have been able to sort that one out myself, and it'd been plaguing me for weeks. Many, many thanks.