Unlocking doors (illogical)

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Unlocking doors (illogical)

Post by P/o Prune »

I have had this discussion with Denk, but I think it's important that it's mentioned in the forum as well.

If you are in a room with a door and this door is locked, but the key is inside the lock, using the >Unlock door (which would be a logical command since the key is already in the door) isn't a valid command. You will get the response: What do you want to unlock the door with?

What you have to do is:
>Take key, Response: You take the key from the door
>Unlock door, Response: Whatever response you have written in your task.

What you have to do in order to unlock the door with the key already inserted.
>Unlock door with key, Response: Whatever response you have written in your task.

I'm not sure if there is an (easy) way around this. But it sure would make things much more logical (imo)
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 93Kb (possible entry for IFComp 2021 :wink: )
ralphmerridew

Re: Unlocking doors (illogical)

Post by ralphmerridew »

Most games do not model putting the key within the lock (though Zork II and IIRC Scroll Thief did); keys are implicitly placed in the lock before and removed from it afterwards.

If you're going to require that, you might consider removing the "unlock ... with ..." command and replace it with a "unlock ..." command. (Also make sure that both sides of the lock are separate.)
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
Lazzah

Post by Lazzah »

In this situation, I myself would simply create a general UNLOCK DOOR task with a high priority for this particular door.
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Following Denks' advice (Thank you) I modified the general task "Unlock objects key check" and changed the restriction: Referenced object 2 must be held by player character, to Referenced object 2 must be visible to player character.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 93Kb (possible entry for IFComp 2021 :wink: )