Change location descr. from light to dark?

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Change location descr. from light to dark?

Post by P/o Prune »

I wonder if it is possible to change a location property while the player is still at said location?
For example.
The player enters a lit room and get the room description. In the room is a character (an enemy, for instance) This character turns off the light thus leaving the location in darkness.
So what I'm after is a way to allow the player to enter the location. Stay here for x number of seconds and then have the location description turn to "It is all dark around you" or something to that effect.

Is this possible?
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 93Kb (possible entry for IFComp 2021 :wink: )
Denk

Re: Change location descr. from light to dark?

Post by Denk »

Certainly. Do you mean realtime seconds or just a number of turns? Or perhaps the light should turn off right after the location description has been given?

In the latter case, all you need is a system task which is set to run when the player enters the location. In the actions you add the location to group "dark locations".

If you want realtime seconds you should use a time-based event and if a number of turns must pass, you should use a turn-based event.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Denk wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:46 pm Certainly. Do you mean realtime seconds or just a number of turns? Or perhaps the light should turn off right after the location description has been given?
Real time. I want to give the player time to read the location description as it may hold some clues.
If you want realtime seconds you should use a time-based event and if a number of turns must pass, you should use a turn-based event.
Ok, I'll see if I can figure it out. Thanks a million. :-)
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

Could the location be dark to begin with, but a task upon entry just gives them the description of the lit room followed by the other character making his appearance and turning it off? Basically just a cut scene that plays out, with the dark room displayed after.

I know there's other methods, but this would be the simplest and have the same effect.
Denk

Post by Denk »

Inspired by Lumin's post, I was reminded that you can also in a text box use the tag: <wait 5> (or another number) followed by e.g. <cls> which clears screen. <wait 5> means "wait 5 seconds" and you can of course change the number.

The bad thing about this solution is, that the player cannot type while waiting unlike time-based events which are more flexible.
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

Honestly I really prefer not to deal with anything based on real life time passage in games like these.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Lumin wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:18 pm Honestly I really prefer not to deal with anything based on real life time passage in games like these.
It's not that you will have to solve a puzzle before the light goes out. And there's always the option of using the >undo command.
See it like you enter a location. You have x seconds to memorize what is in the room and then have to write down as many items you remember.