Spanish games

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.
elanto

Spanish games

Post by elanto »

Hello, How are you?

I would like to know if there is any library in Spanish, or some way to be able to make my games in this language.

Thank you very much and greetings!
Denk

Re: Spanish games

Post by Denk »

Welcome,

First, in my reply below I assume that you want to make Spanish parser games, i.e. a game where you type commands. If you are simply making CYOA-games (choice based games) it is very easy to do that with ADRIFT in any language.

The Standard Library has only been translated to Italian and Danish. So I guess it is possible to make a Spanish translation too. I was involved in the Danish library and I think it turned out well, even though it puts a little more effort onto the game authors as a few things in ADRIFT are hardcoded, i.e. some english sentences that are not included in the library but in the Runner. These can be fixed using text overrides but that is the job of the author, not the creator of the translated library. As I don't speak Italian, I don't know if the Italian translation is good or if it has a lot of problems.

It is some task but not an enourmous task to translate the library (assuming it isn't much worse than the Danish) but it requires some experience with ADRIFT. Unfortunately, I don't know much about Spanish, but if you took on the task, it would probably be possible that you could explain the problems you encounter in English and some of us could help with a practical solution to your problem. Still, I recommend that you get familiar with how ADRIFT works in English first.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
elanto

Post by elanto »

Denk wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:57 pm Welcome,

First, in my reply below I assume that you want to make Spanish parser games, i.e. a game where you type commands. If you are simply making CYOA-games (choice based games) it is very easy to do that with ADRIFT in any language.

The Standard Library has only been translated to Italian and Danish. So I guess it is possible to make a Spanish translation too. I was involved in the Danish library and I think it turned out well, even though it puts a little more effort onto the game authors as a few things in ADRIFT are hardcoded, i.e. some english sentences that are not included in the library but in the Runner. These can be fixed using text overrides but that is the job of the author, not the creator of the translated library. As I don't speak Italian, I don't know if the Italian translation is good or if it has a lot of problems.

It is some task but not an enourmous task to translate the library (assuming it isn't much worse than the Danish) but it requires some experience with ADRIFT. Unfortunately, I don't know much about Spanish, but if you took on the task, it would probably be possible that you could explain the problems you encounter in English and some of us could help with a practical solution to your problem. Still, I recommend that you get familiar with how ADRIFT works in English first.
Hello.

Yes, I would like to do parser games. I perfectly understand.

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

If I decide to do it myself I will be in contact with you.

A greeting and thanks a lot.
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

There's a big Spanish speaking population involved with the Ectocomp every year, and they have their own Discord and forum. Not sure if any of them are familiar with Adrift, but you might be able to find others interested in helping with the project that way.

https://itch.io/jam/ectocomp-2020

Scroll down to the bottom for links, although I don't know how active these places will be in April.
Last edited by Lumin on Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
elanto

Post by elanto »

Lumin wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:23 pm There's a big Spanish speaking population involved with the Ectocomo every year, and they have their own Discord and forum. Not sure if any of them are familiar with Adrift, but you might be able to find others interested in helping with the project that way.

https://itch.io/jam/ectocomp-2020

Scroll down to the bottom for links, although I don't know how active these places will be in April.
Thank you so much!