how to add password protection

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: how to add password protection

Post by P/o Prune »

Lumin wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:38 pm
P/o Prune wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:17 pm Why else are you playing IF if not for the puzzles? You might as well read a book.
Huuuuge can of worms here, lol.
Is it too late to put the lid back on that one? :nerves:
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 93Kb (possible entry for IFComp 2021 :wink: )
David Whyld

Post by David Whyld »

P/o Prune wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:17 pm Why else are you playing IF if not for the puzzles? You might as well read a book.
Huuuuge can of worms here, lol.

Honestly I wouldn't say I play games for the puzzles. I'll play for the storyline, the setting, the writing but not usually for the puzzles.
David Whyld

Post by David Whyld »

David Whyld wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:27 pm That's the thing. It's human nature to cheat and go for the walkthrough the moment you get stuck, yet half the time you can figure out the puzzle if you just keep trying. Include a walkthrough and people will only be able to resist looking at it for so long.
You go for a walkthrough when you are stuck and bored, to be specific. The urge lessens if the game is still offering things to do and seems responsive to experimentation...and you know, actually good.

But no player has entered into a death pact to keep trying till the bitter end. They've all got lots of other things that need their attention every day, it's on the author to give them a reason to stay with it.
Well they should enter into a death pact. The world would be a better place with more death pacts.
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

P/o Prune wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:55 pm Is it too late to put the lid back on that one? :nerves:
Yes, I'm sorry. It can't be undone. You just blithely ignored all the ancient runic seals.
David Whyld wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:16 pm
Honestly I wouldn't say I play games for the puzzles. I'll play for the storyline, the setting, the writing but not usually for the puzzles.
To be fair, I consider puzzle design and implementation to all fall under the "writing" umbrella too. (As a form of pacing if nothing else.)

The real reason traditional IF is hard to write (or the good kind anyway) is precisely because you can't really control the rate or order that information becomes available to the player, and that's one of the most important things in fiction.

I see puzzles as a tool to help with that and gatekeep new locations and bits of plot, but they also can backfire horribly and do more harm than good if the author and player just aren't on the same wavelength at all.
David Whyld

Post by David Whyld »

I think a lot of the reason why I prefer not to have walkthroughs included by default is that I still think of IF games the way I did back in the 80's: games that should take a while to complete. Not just an hour or two but weeks or even months. Include a walkthrough and that's gone. A massive game that people could get lost in for an age is finished in 20 minutes. As an author spending several months working on a game then having someone finish it in half an hour by looking at the walkthrough seems like a lot of time and effort wasted.
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

David Whyld wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:18 pm A massive game that people could get lost in for an age...
How many people are actually writing games like this though? There are so few that seem to invite real exploration, most seem to just want to herd the player from one task to another and artificially restrict progress until they figure out the exact command to type.

If I'm reaching for a walkthrough, it's because I've tried everything reasonable, the game has stopped responding in interesting ways, and I'm on the verge of losing interest completely.

There's an author named Hoo, I'm not sure if he ever joined the forum but from what I've seen of his game it really illustrates how the author can prevent player burnout. Tons of neat little details and things to fiddle with and a sense of a real setting being simulated, beyond just the puzzles. I wish more games would do that as I just don't find puzzles by themselves all that interesting or rewarding anymore.

Also, since we've gone way off topic, could this be split off with the writing and design discussion moved to General? I had a hard time remembering where we were having this conversation and had to check a couple threads.
David Whyld

Post by David Whyld »

That's sadly true. The kind of games I prefer to play are few and far between these days. Making things easy, dumbing down, holding the player's hand so they can't possibly get stuck seem to be the order of business nowadays.

Who's Hoo by the way? I'm not familiar with the name.
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

David Whyld wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:08 pm Who's Hoo by the way? I'm not familiar with the name.
Hoo's on second base...I mean, uh. He says he has a very old account here name Paradox Games, but I just know him from the Discord. He's got a large game in the works from back then that he started messing with again recently though, he just needed help getting Adrift installed again because of the scare mongering Windows Defender does.

You play as a newly activated android being monitored in a facility before being cleared for release, and there's just lots of little details like news and radio broadcasts that expand on the outside, worldm (or give clues to puzzles.)

One he showed screenshots of that I really liked was that you can look out the window every day and get a randomized weather effect, which the weather broadcast for that day will match up to. That and there's just lots of stuff to play around with in the environment. I'm looking forward to this one.