Frankendrift - early stages of Mac & Linux Runner

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.
ardi

Re: Frankendrift - early stages of Mac & Linux Runner

Post by ardi »

I've just uploaded Alpha 5 which should fix the issues regarding the %turns% variable, as well as AGAIN handling.

Graphics is now disabled by default on Linux to avoid error messages in case libgdiplus is not installed. Graphics can now be enabled and disabled in the preferences.
Denk

Post by Denk »

Works great - keep up the good work :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
ardi

Post by ardi »

Aaand Alpha 6 is up with the following fixes/changes:
  • Increase default font size slightly
  • Fix crashes when graphics window is closed
  • Attempt to substitute a different monospace font when the requested one isn't available.
  • Text styling now works on Windows as well
  • Windows download now includes all dependencies (including the .NET runtime)
Denk

Post by Denk »

ardi wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:48 pm Aaand Alpha 6 is up with the following fixes/changes:
  • Increase default font size slightly
  • Fix crashes when graphics window is closed
  • Attempt to substitute a different monospace font when the requested one isn't available.
  • Text styling now works on Windows as well
  • Windows download now includes all dependencies (including the .NET runtime)
Works well. Perhaps background color could be given high priority? Most games assume black background color. So at the moment, some text colors will hardly be visible due to low contrast. For instance, check out The first starting screens of "Axe of Kolt". Anyway, thanks again for doing this.
The Bash Saga:
ardi

Post by ardi »

Denk wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:40 pm Perhaps background color could be given high priority?
One black background, coming right up! :wink:
Screenshot 2021-08-08 210756.png
Screenshot 2021-08-08 210756.png (74.14 KiB) Viewed 245 times
It seems that in changing the default font size, I also fixed whatever was keeping the default text colour from changing, so dark backgrounds are now possible. This change will be included in the next release.

(With some more tidying up, specifically making the SAVE and RESTORE menu options work, I think I might move this from "Alpha" to "Beta" stage at this point. What do y'all think?)
Lazzah

Post by Lazzah »

That's great ardi, I feel flattered that you used "The Axe of Kolt" as an example. Just one thing: the text on that page is all supposed to be centred, not left-justified. Any chance of fixing that?
Visit "Larry's ADRIFT Text Adventures" at http://LarrysAdriftTextAdventures.co.uk
ardi

Post by ardi »

Lazzah wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:56 pm the text on that page is all supposed to be centred, not left-justified. Any chance of fixing that?
Unfortunately, the frontend library I'm currently using doesn't seem to like the idea of having several different alignments in the text at once :(
Denk

Post by Denk »

ardi wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:14 pm(With some more tidying up, specifically making the SAVE and RESTORE menu options work, I think I might move this from "Alpha" to "Beta" stage at this point. What do y'all think?)
I understand that software normally is moved from alpha to beta when no more new features are planned. So I guess it is a signal to potential gamers that it basically is finished, though it might need a few bug-fixes.

I think one thing is important if you do that: I don't know if there are big differences between the platforms (Windows, mac, Linux). But if the text changes color on a platform, the background should also change. And on those platforms where the background may change color, so should the text. And it is quite important that if the game sets the background color, it should also set the default text color and vice versa. Otherwise, the text may not be readable. If so, it would be better to exclude all color changes.

I hope that makes sense :)
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Post by Denk »

ardi, I don't know much about programming but I guess it won't hurt asking...

Since you can generate Frankendrift executables for Windows, Mac and Linux, would it be possible to generate browser versions too? So a game could be played online?
The Bash Saga:
ardi

Post by ardi »

Denk wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:49 pm Since you can generate Frankendrift executables for Windows, Mac and Linux, would it be possible to generate browser versions too? So a game could be played online?
I thought about that, and while it would be ideal to have a form of "online" play that works entirely in the user's browser (similar to how Quixe works for Inform/Glulx games) I don't think it's possible with the current way FD is set up.

While there is work being done towards running .NET applications entirely in the browser like that (cf. Blazor WebAssembly), it's unfortunately not as simple as changing a setting and hitting "compile" (which is pretty much all I have to do right now to create Win/Mac/Linux executables). It would be an entirely new porting project.

I guess what I'm saying is: "Maybe some day, absolutely no promises though."
Denk

Post by Denk »

Ok, thanks for the explanation :)
The Bash Saga: