Static object inside a static object. - how many tasks?

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.
kattiegreen

Static object inside a static object. - how many tasks?

Post by kattiegreen »

Okay so I have a dial inside a cabinet, and the only way to have an object inside another object is for it to be dynamic. (I think)

How many tasks do I need to create to keep the player from taking the dial or getting the dial or getting all and still ending up with the dial? I've tried creating a task "get dial" and move it back into the cabinet, works for "get", do I need a separate task for take? And how is "get all" handled
Denk

Re: Static object inside a static object. - how many tasks?

Post by Denk »

kattiegreen wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:18 pm Okay so I have a dial inside a cabinet, and the only way to have an object inside another object is for it to be dynamic. (I think)
That is correct.
kattiegreen wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:18 pm I've tried creating a task "get dial" and move it back into the cabinet, works for "get", do I need a separate task for take? And how is "get all" handled
This is a natural approach for people new to ADRIFT but you should try to avoid that approach whenever possible as it will result in a weak parser, which ADRIFT is known for because many neglect this advice ;)

Below I will propose what to do here, and also link to some newbie-advice you might find useful.
kattiegreen wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:18 pm How many tasks do I need to create to keep the player from taking the dial or getting the dial or getting all and still ending up with the dial?
You only need to OVERRIDE one task, that is the task "Take objects from object". You can see in the screenshot below how to do it.

You can find more advice for ADRIFT newcomers here: https://forum.adrift.co/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12082
DontGetDial.png
DontGetDial.png (20.16 KiB) Viewed 247 times
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

In your example "override" take object from object, isn't it necessary to also make an action where you place the object back in the other object?
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 111Kb (possible entry for the parser Comp 2021 :wink: )
Denk

Post by Denk »

P/o Prune wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:17 am In your example "override" take object from object, isn't it necessary to also make an action where you place the object back in the other object?
No, that isn't necessary when you override a take-task. Override means that the task you are overriding will never run. Thus, the object will never be taken.

If you instead of "override" had chosen "run after", it would be necessary. But then the general task would tell the player that the object was taken, which wouldn't make much sense in this situation.
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Ok, thank you. Good to know. :yeah:
It will make life much easier for me in the future. I have always added an action where I put the object in question back where ever it was taken from.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 111Kb (possible entry for the parser Comp 2021 :wink: )