I was thinking that we might as well add some missing verbs to the Combined Library before I publish it.
I would very much like to hear your opinions before I proceed with this.
However, it might be annoying to have too many verbs in the Standard Library. If a verb isn't relevant for a game, e.g. "repair" then the author will have to spend time considering what the default response should be to that verb, though more experienced authors will probably just delete that verb. The author may also prefer that some words are not synonyms but have different meanings.
Looking at the thread "Verbs used in Inform & TADS" I propose:
1. New synonyms for attack: fight, murder, punch
2. New synonym for close: shut
3. New synonyms for drop %object%: throw, discard %object%
4. New synonym for pull: drag
5. New synonym for "put objects on others": drop
6. New synonyms for "put objects in others": drop, insert
7. New synonyms for rub: scrub, wipe
8. New synonyms for say: speak, answer
9. New synonym for smell: sniff
10. New synonyms for turn %object%: spin, rotate, screw, unscrew, twist.
And remove restriction that requires that you are holding the object.
11. Add "break %object%"-task. Synonyms: destroy, smash, crack, others?
12. New task: Throw object at/on %character%, synonym: toss
13. New task: Throw %object1% at/on/onto %object2%, synonym: toss
14. New task: Throw object1% in/into %object2%, synonym: toss, drop
22. New task:
tie/fasten/attach %object1% to %object2%
tie/fasten %object2% with/using %object1%
14. New task: untie/detach/unfasten %object%
15. New task: Light %object%
16. New task: Listen to %object%
17. New task: Listen to %character%
18. Change existing task "listen * " to just "listen"
19. Search %object% will call "look in %object%" if the object is a container.
20: New task: "smell". ("smell %object% already exist)
21. New task: talk/speak to %character%
I think it is perfectly okay to deviate some from synonyms in Inform and TADS, as many authors also alter the verbs in Inform and TADS. We should take those we think are important.
I hope to hear your opinions on all this.