Some new CYOAs

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.
Lumin

Some new CYOAs

Post by Lumin »

CYS just had a contest with 17 entries, so I'm leaving this here if anybody's in the mood for some reading material.

https://chooseyourstory.com/forums/news ... sage/28598

No need for votes or anything, we don't do those there because democracy doesn't work, but if you do read it would be much appreciated if you left a rating or comment. You don't need an account for that, only if you want to save games or use the forum.

(But if you make an account and use Firefox or Chrome, you can get the site extension from this guy for comfier reading with dark mode, and some other improvements you can set in your profile: https://chooseyourstory.com/Member/?Use ... adindvorak)
Lumin

Re: Some new CYOAs

Post by Lumin »

https://chooseyourstory.com/story/ruins-of-anzar

This one sort of surprised me, it's about structured like a traditional text adventure with item puzzles. I'll have to interrogate the author on what their IF background is.

Some of the puzzles are a little unituitive I think, especially those involving a workaround they used for combining objects to create new ones. It's going to be unpublished for more polish after the judging though and I've already explained to them how another game did what they wanted to do.

Item puzzles are not hugely popular on CYS unfortunately so I'm spending a little more time on this one trying to knock any bugs loose since they've had trouble finding testers.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Sounds interesting, Lumin.
Looking forward to read your review.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 111Kb (possible entry for the parser Comp 2021 :wink: )
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

Weird, I thought this board was the place to come to if we wanted to know if an eBook writing service was worth paying for.

...it's not?

Oh, okay then.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

I'm not sure what you mean, Lumin. Could you please explain?
David Whyld

Post by David Whyld »

(Grabs the popcorn and sits back expectantly)

Me, too.
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

David Whyld wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:26 pm (Grabs the popcorn and sits back expectantly)

Me, too.
As near as I can figure, Prune has tied some hapless eBook writer up in his basement because he wants to keep all the eBooks for himself. And then tried to hide the evidence, but it's right there on the front page.
David Whyld

Post by David Whyld »

I still have no idea what you're talking about but I look forward to seeing where this goes.
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

David Whyld wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:05 pm I still have no idea what you're talking about but I look forward to seeing where this goes.
It was just a spam post that got deleted, but due to a quaint glitch in the way the site works it was still showing up in new posts on the main page for like a day after. One of my own threads I deleted the other day did not do that at all, that so it must be specifically something that happens when an admin pulls the trigger.

Sorry that's not terribly exciting, I TRIED to milk it for slightly more interest because well, it's a bit dead here recently and I don't really see this thread in particular taking off.

If bots are still getting through that might be mildly concerning, but in all likelihood it was one of those third worlders that gets paid in rice by the grain to spew links around wherever they'll stick.

Anyway, nevermind all that. Read WARCHIMP instead. (https://chooseyourstory.com/story/warchimp)
It's like ten minutes to breeze through but I'm sitting here just struggling to find words to review it, it's like the Planet of the Apes reboots meets an entirely different brand of sci fi and then Conan was their baby.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Damned it, Lumin.... Aaarggh
You had me worried there for a while.... Like Capt. Sobel (Band of Brothers) would havce said: Weekend pass Revoked! ]:)
David Whyld

Post by David Whyld »

Now I understand. I wonder if this is how my sister feels when somebody tells her a joke, she doesn't get it, they have to explain it and she inevitably says "that's not funny". 🤕
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

David Whyld wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:08 am Now I understand. I wonder if this is how my sister feels when somebody tells her a joke, she doesn't get it, they have to explain it and she inevitably says "that's not funny". 🤕
rofl :yeah: