Sir Clive Sinclair dies at aged 81

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Sir Clive Sinclair dies at aged 81

Post by P/o Prune »

:(
Just found out that Sir Clive Sinclair the inventer of, amongst other things, the Spectrum 48K computer died last month.
I can say without a doubt that he has had an enormous impact on my life and I owe him a ton of gratitude.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... es-aged-81

R.I.P.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 135Kb (My entry for the parser Comp 2022 :wink: )
David Whyld

Re: Sir Clive Sinclair dies at aged 81

Post by David Whyld »

I heard about this. Sad news.

Back in the day, I was a Speccy lad, complete with its rubber cheap-as-chips keyboard. I used to look down my nose with disdain at the Commodore crowd. Sure the Commodore might have looked better but everyone knew Spectrums were better. Later on, I got a Commodore myself and started looking down my nose at the Spectrum crowd. Ah, good times.

RIP Sir Clive.
rotter

Post by rotter »

I spotted it on the news. It was such an exciting time, with computers and games coming out all the time. But dear old Speccy was king. I owe Sir Clive such a lot, it was all down to him and the Spectrum that I started on my career in IT. My boss one afternoon asked "You have a computer, don't you?" But I will never forget the ZX81 and RAM pack wobble. :shock:

RIP Sir Clive
DazaKiwi

Post by DazaKiwi »

I hope i don't get roasted...But i never owned a Speccy, let alone have used one. In fact my first 'PC' was a BBC. Then a C64, then an Amiga 500, before finally getting a pc desktop in the mid 90s- cant recall all the specs on that but it did have a 42mb hhd (wow) and i think a 266mhz CPU. I would say though original, still working C64, Spectrum and Amiga, still might hold some value today with those who want a trip down memory lane.
David Whyld

Post by David Whyld »

Oh you would not have popular at my school. The Spectrum kids hated the Commodore kids and the Commodore kids hated the Spectrum kids, but everyone hated the BBC kids.
Lazzah

Post by Lazzah »

R.I.P. Sir Clive, I hope you have a great time in heaven driving your C5 around and terrifying all the other angels.

My first computer was a 32k Acorn Electron (baby BBC), subsequently upgraded to 128k. I started writing games using first the Quill, then I saw the error of my ways and bought a 48k Speccie which I used to convert my first three games when I started selling them. I upgraded to a +3 with a disc drive which allowed me to write bigger games and I also had a +2 which I used to test-load the games - if a tape would load on the +2, it would load on anything!

I then bought an Amiga 500 from a neighbour - I am sure it had been nicked! - and then an Amiga 1200. I bought my first PC after that and then I started building them myself, quite easy using parts bought from computer fairs. I now have a super fast desktop PC in my man cave but I prefer working on my laptop in the lounge while watching TV! :haha:
Visit "Larry's ADRIFT Text Adventures" at http://LarrysAdriftTextAdventures.co.uk
Denk

Post by Denk »

In Denmark almost no one had a Spectrum (I guess P/o was the exception ;) ), most had a Commodore 64 until the Amiga 500 came along. But I have since come to realize how important the Spectrum computers were to interactive fiction. Yes, there are probably a lot of Infocom fans outside the UK who don't recognize that, as Inform utilizes the file format (z-code files) that were invented by Infocom, but I regard the UK+ homegrown scene as an important chapter. I got a subscription for Adventure Probe in the 90s and that was when I found out that the text adventure market on the C64 had almost died but the Spectrum scene was still thriving!

I was quite baffled at the time because I thought the C64 was superior after having seen how beautiful the graphics were on the C64 compared to Spectrum screenshots. The C64 did have better graphics and more RAM (at least in the beginning) but it was only until recently, I learned that the Spectrum was 3.5 times faster than the C64, making it perfect for text adventures. Also, PAW was never released on C64.

On the other hand, Infocom never released anything for the Spectrum so the Quill/PAW community never experienced the Infocom games and vice versa. That could have been interesting.

RIP Sir Clive.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
David Whyld

Post by David Whyld »

I remember plenty of heated debates between my friends about which was better, the Spectrum or the Commodore. Needless to say, this all depended on which one you had. I had both so I ended up in both camps at one time. Saying that, it's always the Spectrum I have the fondest memories of. The rubber keyboard might have been the subject of much derision, but it was a damn fine computer in its day.
Lazzah

Post by Lazzah »

Denk wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:32 am I got a subscription for Adventure Probe in the 90s and that was when I found out that the text adventure market on the C64 had almost died but the Spectrum scene was still thriving!
I was also an Adventure Probe subscriber, I wrote a few articles about using PAW called "Paws for thought". I met many fellow Adventure Probe readers at the "Adventurer's Conventions" we held in Birmingham & Coventry in the 1990's. Great days!
Visit "Larry's ADRIFT Text Adventures" at http://LarrysAdriftTextAdventures.co.uk
NickyDude

Post by NickyDude »

DazaKiwi wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:31 am I hope i don't get roasted...But i never owned a Speccy, let alone have used one.....
My finger hovered over the ban button for a moment there.... :wink:
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
Denk

Post by Denk »

DazaKiwi wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:31 am I hope i don't get roasted...But i never owned a Speccy, let alone have used one.....
Neither did I but for someone who like text adventures it is never too late. I have been using the excellent FUSE-emulator for some time and this week I also installed a Spectrum Next emulator so I can play all the games by Magnetic Scrolls with graphics. Looking forward to play a lot of the Zenobi-titles, especially more of Jack Lockerby.

The only drawback (I don't know if it is caused by the emulators) is that if I type too fast, the Spectrum doesn't catch all the letters I am typing. It helps if I artificially increase the emulator so it runs twice as fast or faster.

I wonder if this was a problem back in the days? Or perhaps people blamed the rubber keyboard when it was actually the computer response that was too slow?
The Bash Saga:
DazaKiwi

Post by DazaKiwi »

NickyDude wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:15 pm
My finger hovered over the ban button for a moment there.... :wink:
LoL...phew..

examine ban button
You see no such thing.

:|
R2T1

Post by R2T1 »

I heard of his passing on the morning radio news bulletin and saw it later on TV that night some days (or a week) ago.

Confession is good for the soul - so "they" say.

I too have yet to lay eyes on a Spectrum machine. I have seen pictures of them so I know they are real. I did actually buy a few magazines for the Spectrum and type in some of the programs on my Exidy Sorcerer converting the BASIC dialect to suit. Probably still have them burnt to a CD somewhere.

I think it must be some sort of antipodean time warp that prevented DazaKiwi and I from possessing this.
Denk

Post by Denk »

Actually, the ZX Spectrum is still hot ;)

A brand new 3-part adventure was released for it recently by Gareth Pitchford. It is called Dream Walker (no kidding!).

I just completed it, it was pretty good! I would give it 4 out of 5 stars.

You can read about the game and download it here: http://www.8bitag.com/games/dream.html

And a very simple emulator (FUSE) can be found here, so you can play on a PC: http://fuse-emulator.sourceforge.net/
The Bash Saga: