New text adventure jam - tutorial and accessible to kids

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF
Denk

New text adventure jam - tutorial and accessible to kids

Post by Denk »

This is the first time the Adventuron community makes a jam open to games of other systems than Adventuron. :bravo:

In the latest Adventuron jam (Adventuron only), games got between 12 and 28 votes with scores in several categories, which is a nice form of feedback, and lots of comments on each games submission page.

The good thing about jams is that you don't have to use a lot of time on your game - you must only work on your game between the 25th of February and the 31st of March this year. So no one expects a big game.

However, there are some pretty tight theme restrictions, so that it will be accessible to new IF players, i.e. it must include an (optional) tutorial for the first two puzzles and writing, story and puzzles should be accessible to kids as well.

The complete rules etc. can be found here: https://itch.io/jam/talp

So if you can let go of your other projects for 1.5 months, it would be great if some of you would participate! :yeah:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Re: New text adventure jam - tutorial and accessible to kids

Post by Denk »

Another special rule in this jam is, that inputs should be limited to VERB NOUN, i.e. maximum two words. And if the player types more than two words, the player should be informed that only two words are required. Inspired by this, I am now working on a "Verb-Noun-Library" (no promises). I don't think it will take that long, but there are some things which are not straight forward...
The Bash Saga:
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

I saw this awhile ago, and honestly lost complete interest at the bizarre "two sentence" rule. They're either actually limiting the interest these would have to kids who like reading, or the intention is to force them on the kids that are never going to enjoy it anyway. It just feels really out of touch, dumbing things down is never a real solution.

Kids who would be interested in IF are devouring books and writing their own novels and CYOAs and roleplaying in settings they've created. I've seen 14 year olds with no idea what a walkthrough is teaming up to tackle games like Christminster and it kept them absolutely riveted for weeks, and it's usually between 10 and 12 that interest in recreational reading (and time to do so) is at its peak. These games aren't for everyone, but the idea that children stupid and need to be treated that way isn't doing the kids or the medium any favors.
Denk

Post by Denk »

I do not agree with the jam organizer that a strict two-word parser is normally easier for newcomers than a full-sentence parser. Still, there exist a lot of good two-word parser games and I don't mind competing with two-word parser games and restricting the ADRIFT parser temporarily for that purpose.
I agree that restrictions such as the "two sentence"-rule may reduce the quality of the game and isn't necessary. However, many jams have themes and here I try to see it as part of the challenge.

One thing I learned while I made the two-word parser library for ADRIFT is, that everything is suddenly much easier. So it is my impression that there is a bigger risk of bugs in full-sentence ADRIFT games than in a two-word parser ADRIFT game.

I generally prefer full-sentence parsers over two-word parsers but I would always prefer a well-working two-word parser over a buggy full-sentence parser.

The two-word parser library (verb-noun library) can be found here: https://www.adrift.co/game/1602
The Bash Saga:
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

I see this "rule" more as a challenge to the author than as a help to newcomers. The reason for the multi parser was to avoid the dreaded "I don't understand" message in the early games.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 93Kb (possible entry for IFComp 2021 :wink: )
Denk

Post by Denk »

Whether people like the rules of this competition or not, the resulting games are pretty fun if you like short easy-to-medium classic text adventures (2-word-parser). So far I have played six of them. None were horrible and some of them pretty good! :claps:

You still have 15 days to vote: https://itch.io/jam/talp

The categories are: Tutorial, Story, Puzzles, Characters, Enjoyment (and two optional categories: Graphics and Cheatsheet)
The Bash Saga: