P/o Prune's mini competition

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: P/o Prune's mini competition

Post by P/o Prune »

Lumin wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:48 pm Oh nice is there still a week? I'd been thinking it was this past weekend and felt bad I missed it. I should have a little time to actually finish them on Friday.
May 17 11:59pm where ever you are.
Need more time?
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 93Kb (possible entry for IFComp 2021 :wink: )
Denk

Post by Denk »

Looking forward to the results :)

I liked all the games, so my personal placement isn't important. However, I hope that the data will be revealed (anonymously of course) as that is close to the only feedback we get.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

The voting is over...
Thank you to all of you who took time to play the games and cast your vote.
A pleasant surprise to find that three of the seven people voting was actually people that hadn't antered the competition. Thank you very much. It was good to see. :thanks:

The result will be uploaded later today (after I've done my chores in the garden :O )
Also, I urge the competitors to upload their game to the Adrift game section. It will be easier for me to upload the appropriate awards (and some people may want to write a review (hint, hint :wink: )'

If you have comments on the games, please post them in the Game section of the forum.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

P/o Prune's mini comp. results:

:claps:
Ok. The competition is over, the votes has been cast.
Again, thanks to all who participated and to all of you who voted. :thanks:

A Difficulty Puzzle: Score: 4,33 (First prize: £ 10)
The Garden Party: Score: 3,83 (Second prize: £ 5)
Illumina: Score: 3,16 (Third prize: £ 2 )
Quest Giver: 2,66

Pls. let me know, through my Adrift email, or PM how you'd like your prize money transferred. (no! I'm not bringing a cheque over personally :P It's Paypal, or Amazon voucher.)

If any of the participants wants to know their votes, pls. send me a pm and I'll be happy to send them to you. Only the numbers, mind you 8)

Finally:
Along with Lumin's votes, she had also written a short review for each game. I thought I'd share them with Ya'll (Texan accent, please :wink: )

A Difficult Puzzle:
I have not yet been able to complete this, but as far as games designed around a central puzzle go it's a great example. I managed to get one lock open and figure out how the book and rooms interacted, so it's only a matter of the time. IMO a game doesn't need a lot of explanation when there's just a few factors in play that affect things in predictable way.

I will continue to deliberately snub the fairy. I don't need her.

The Garden Party:
In this game you play a nudist fixing up the garden for his partner. Very progressive. I did feel a little rooted to the spot since there were all these described locations I could only interact with from the central location, but the writing and set up were all pretty pleasant and there was a lot to explore. The whole garden setting was detailed enough I wondered if it was drawn from real life.

I kept thinking I might wrap a tarp around myself at least so I could be wearing something, but the game was having none of that.

Illumina:
My biggest question honestly is why my character decided to go on this mission with nothing but the clothes on his back and a pair of (stolen?) boots.

It felt like a nice classic adventure although I unfortunately didn't get very far at all in the time I had to play. I had the acidic liquid in the pot I thought I was going to melt some metal part of the door with, but if that was the case I never could figure out the right command. I saw signs of another puzzle in the dark guard room upstairs but never had anything relevant for that in my possession. Although as I said I didn't get to experience much of this game, it left me interested enough to want to come back to it later and beat it properly.

Quest Giver:
Seems like a very rough and bare bones concept right now, but there's enough here to show what it INTENDED to be, and I'm intrigued. Games designed to be replayable with a bit of randomness and strategy to keep you on your toes are proving to be one of ADRIFTs biggest untapped strengths lately. In it's current state I don't think it held together very well as a playable game, but I definitely would check out an expanded and polished version with more flavor text and less seams in the simulation. Music was a nice touch.

Great efforts from all authors, all genuinely fun set ups for games and all something completely different which really shows off the range of what can be done with ADRIFT.
Lazzah

Post by Lazzah »

Thanks for the the review, Lumin. In my defence, I had deleted the "You are wearing.." bit of the inventory output message, but I didn't realise that ADRIFT had added a second inventory task which overrode my original one and, of course, displayed "You are wearing nothing..." etc. As only one person had playtested the game, it wasn't spotted until it was too late and I had submitted the game!

The game WAS based on real life and those are features in our actual garden in Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, UK.
Visit "Larry's ADRIFT Text Adventures" at http://LarrysAdriftTextAdventures.co.uk