P/o Prune's mini competition

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF
Lumin

Re: P/o Prune's mini competition

Post by Lumin »

Shame you didn't finish the other one, but this sounds like an interesting concept anyway. Something it might be fun to play an expanded version of later.

Changing the plot on mine was exactly what was needed, it was missing something before and now I've been pretty focused even with what little time I have. And Adrift is great for that honestly. Can't get any meaningful amount of writing done when I've got just an hour or so at night and already having to force myself to stay awake, but I can make a few objects or string together a couple of tasks with placeholder text and still feel like I made at least some progress.

I'm still trying to keep to the basic limitations on rooms as far as what the player can physically access, although I've made a couple more now to move them to temporarily to help organize events.
Denk

Post by Denk »

In case not everyone noticed, P/o Prune updated the first post in this thread slightly, so you have until monday morning (Danish time)

P/o Prune, note the thread "Play Online Error" - it seems as if NEW uploads to the games section cannot be played online. Existing games seem to play well with the online runner though.

So you should probably not announce it on intfiction until Campbell has solved this problem(?)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Denk wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:48 pm P/o Prune, note the thread "Play Online Error" - it seems as if NEW uploads to the games section cannot be played online. Existing games seem to play well with the online runner though.
So you should probably not announce it on intfiction until Campbell has solved this problem(?)
I have written Campbell already :wink:
And since it is now also impossible to upload a game, I will hold all games until the matter has been solved.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 93Kb (possible entry for IFComp 2021 :wink: )
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

Oh. Welp.

There's no actual reason to delay judging though, they can be zipped up together on Google drive for us until rotter can add them to his site.

Catastrophic issues with the site can always be gotten around easily in various ways, or there'd be no point in bothering with this stuff.

Also when things are sorted you may as well announce it on CYS given the sudden interest in Adrift over there. I have a hunch there'd be more actual interest from there than you'd get from intfiction honestly.
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

Actually, on second thought, I'm trying to slowly train them to like other forms of IF so maybe an informal contest with small rushed games isn't really a best foot forward situation. I didn't even realize intfiction was getting an invite honestly, glad I didn't go forward with entering my own game in a rough state in that case.
DazaKiwi

Post by DazaKiwi »

How about Po, in the meantime you bundle all the blorbs into one zip file and upload it to google drive as Lumin suggested?

How many have entries have been submitted?
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

This is all very unfortunate timing, I'd planned to play everything tonight.

Can't really predict things like...whatever is suddenly going on with the site, but there's no shortage of options for sharing files at least. Even the forum itself allows attachments, although I'm not sure what the size limit is.

So the online runner is the only casualty here, and it's not like any of us would be using it.

And I'd like to know how many entries there are too. Lazzah and Daza were the only ones that mentioned finishing as far as I know.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Lumin wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:55 am And I'd like to know how many entries there are too. Lazzah and Daza were the only ones that mentioned finishing as far as I know.
I have updated the main post with some additional info. But I'm not sure if a post edit will mark the topic unread, so to answer Daza's and your question here. There are four games in the competition.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

The four entries has been uploaded to Google Drive.
You will find the link in the original post.
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

Nice, I'll try to get to them all by Thursday.

Four is a good turnout..
DazaKiwi

Post by DazaKiwi »

As for my entry you will notice it has the biggest file size, that is because i added a music track. And there is a puzzle in my game, which you get to when you give and complete a quest. Well there are two quests involved. One is dependent on succeeding. I just wanted to mention that as the main gameplay loop doesn't involve examining things or overly interacting. But i do plan on expanding out in that direction more in future with the game.
Denk

Post by Denk »

If anyone's interested, I have reviewed all the games (not counting my own) in the competition here:
https://www.adrift.co/review/1612
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
DazaKiwi

Post by DazaKiwi »

re: Quest Giver

Some bits of info missing from the rules that i would like to mention to make the experience playing Quest giver a bit better.

>When you give a quest to an adventurer at a village you do not have to wait at that village until it gets completed. You will receive a message wherever you are if its been completed and if it has succeeded or not (completed does not mean success). There is suppose to be a narrative report of what happens, but that part is broken and wont show.

> Moving between villages takes a few turns before you actually get there, giving a sense of time

>Rumors isn't implemented, but only as an conversation option, ran out of time.

>Adventurers do not return after a quest (will change this in future, unless killed of course)

>Commands lists custom commands- mentioned in rules but might be overlooked.

>The tavern is an object you go into and out, so enter tavern and leave tavern commands are used.

>There is 21 Quests (1 is hidden- unlocks if you figure out the puzzle which is attached to being successful in a certain quest..spoiler below..
Spoiler
The puzzle is an object or two you get with the Stolen Stallion quest if successful
> Quests do not repeat (will change this in future, some might)

I have a bunch of ideas to flesh out the game in future and of course more quests, locations and rewards.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Just a heads up. :claps:
Only 7 days left to vote.
So far only 3 people have voted. Please, take an hour or so and give the games a try and vote. Let's at least try to keep this forum AND Adrift alive.
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

Oh nice is there still a week? I'd been thinking it was this past weekend and felt bad I missed it. I should have a little time to actually finish them on Friday.