P/o Prune
Site Admin

P/o Prune's mini competition

Post by P/o Prune »

Here are the rules for P/o Prune's mini competition 2021
The competition starts now! :D

Basic rules:
Game has to be made using Adrift.
Game must not have been published before.
Genre: Your own choice (no adult theme, though)

Then:
Maximum 5 rooms.
Must have dynamic objects.
At least ONE npc with a conversation tree.
Must have puzzles (goes without saying)

Games to be sent to P/o Prune's email address. :Drifting(dot)Prune(at)Gmail(dot)Com

Judging:
The games will be judged by a vote from 1 to 5 (Yes! It is possible to give all games the same number of points, should so be desired.)
The votes can be sent to P/o Prune's Email address (mentioned above, somewhere) or as a PM in the Forum.

And, please, please, please. Let's get this rolling.. Play the games, and vote!!

Entering deadline: Sunday April 25th 2021
Voting deadline: Monday 08:00 May 17 (Danish time)
Competition results: Shortly after.

Oh... Darn.. almost forgot. Let's not forget the prizes.
1st prize: 10 £ (or equivalent)
2nd prize: 5 £ (or equivalent)
3rd prize: 2 £ (or a warm hearty handshake)
All prizes can be given as amazon vouchers, should this be desired.

Edition 25 Apr 2021 (Danish time)
I have decided to extend the deadline for delivery til Monday morning 08:00 (Danish time... You go figure out where that leaves you :wink: )
Also: This is the way things are happening.
I will zip all the files and upload them to the Adrift Main site, under "Competition" People can download the whole shebang and play the games on their computer.
I will also upload the games separately, under the same "Competition" Thus (hopefully) allowing people to play the games on line.
On top of that. Monday morning I am going to post on IntFiction, letting people know what we are doing over here and urge them to play the games and vote.

Edition: Monday 08:00 (or there about) 26 April (Danish time)
Entries will no longer be accepted for this competition.
There are four entries. They are as follows (Alphabetically)

* A difficult puzzle
* Questgiver
* Illumina
* The garden party

The games are zipped and uploaded to google drive. Use the link below for download.
Don't forget to vote. These are small games and it should be possible to give them a go and a vote.
Each game can be given a score from 1 to 5. The one with the highest average wins.
Send your vote to: "Drifting (dot) Prune (at) Gmail (dot) com" or use the forum PM
Deadline for voting is: Monday 08:00 May 17 (Danish time)

Link to the games: P/o Prune's mini comp.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 93Kb (possible entry for IFComp 2021 :wink: )
Lumin

Re: P/o Prune's mini competition

Post by Lumin »

Glad we've got plenty of time, I'll have to ponder this one a bit.

The only potential issue I see is that with no theme it might be difficult to judge these, 5 rooms and one NPC allows pretty much infinite variation.

Very nice that there are prizes however. Have you ever tested giving Amazon codes across countries though? The one time I tried I tried to buy one in the UK store, they just repeatedly froze my account and no one in customer service seemed to have any idea what I was talking about when I would call to reset it. I'm not even sure they were aware other countries existed.
BattleoftheBased

Post by BattleoftheBased »

Well here's my first noob question then, what exactly is meant by conversation tree and how do you do it?
DazaKiwi

Post by DazaKiwi »

BattleoftheBased wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:35 pm Well here's my first noob question then, what exactly is meant by conversation tree and how do you do it?
http://wiki.adrift.co/Conversations_wit ... characters

Note the connection for that site isn't secure, not sure why that is. Also in Adrift developer you can click on the ? button top far right and load up another source of info and look up the conversation info there too.

I recommend when creating a conversation to use 'ask', which has keywords to match entered like: dark forest, forest,
You do NOT need to put them in brackets or have speech quotes. However in the general tab it works like a normal task that requires brackets. This can be confusing to a new drifter. Anyway try to do the tutorial. If you run into any problems with doing that, feel free to ask for her help here.

Also there are some conversation demos users have created somewhere on the forums too. Hope that helps.
Denk

Post by Denk »

BattleoftheBased wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:35 pm Well here's my first noob question then, what exactly is meant by conversation tree and how do you do it?
Perhaps P/o Prune can confirm or reject my understanding, but I think(?) that P/o Prune just means that you should be able to converse with an NPC. Some of us use conversation trees to do that (each character has a "conversation pane") but many of us prefer to use tasks for conversations instead of conversation trees.

P/o Prune, am I right that the participants can implement conversation anyway they like?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Denk wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:33 pm
Perhaps P/o Prune can confirm or reject my understanding, but I think(?) that P/o Prune just means that you should be able to converse with an NPC. Some of us use conversation trees to do that (each character has a "conversation pane") but many of us prefer to use tasks for conversations instead of conversation trees.

P/o Prune, am I right that the participants can implement conversation anyway they like?
You are absolutely right, Denk.
I do have a competition in mind, for later, where the focus is aimed at the author rather than the player.
I earlier competitions there were restrictions such as, there had to be at least one event, X number of NPC's, X number of dynamic objects etc. This "forced" the author to work with these things and thus getting a better understanding of how they worked.
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

Remember in the good old days when a comp would be announced, and then everyone would fall to nitpicking every possible interpretation of the rules?

Let's do that again!

Does an NPC have to physically exist, or can you simulate one with tasks? I'm thinking something along the lines of a conversation over radio.

Although to be fair, I guess it wouldn't be difficult to store all the conversation tasks in one and make them accessible somehow for that while blocking off other interactions. Just seems like a pointless extra step.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Lumin wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:15 pm Remember in the good old days when a comp would be announced, and then everyone would fall to nitpicking every possible interpretation of the rules?

Let's do that again!

Does an NPC have to physically exist, or can you simulate one with tasks? I'm thinking something along the lines of a conversation over radio.

Although to be fair, I guess it wouldn't be difficult to store all the conversation tasks in one and make them accessible somehow for that while blocking off other interactions. Just seems like a pointless extra step.
I was thinking about a physical NPC, but your idea is just as good. So by all means, go ahead :yeah:
DazaKiwi

Post by DazaKiwi »

Lumin wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:15 pm Remember in the good old days when a comp would be announced, and then everyone would fall to nitpicking every possible interpretation of the rules?

Let's do that again!

One way i have down remote conversations in the past was to create a property; Character is on the phone, and in the conversation restriction add...or character has property Character is on the phone. I think there was an extra step of having a task enter the character you wish to talk to enter conversation with player. But you get the idea. Like suppose having a task open phone or phone book and list all characters you can remotely talk to and pick 2 and the task enters that character into conversation with you and you apply that selection type property temporary to that character and you can have a conversation with them without them needing to be in the same location.
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

I figured it wouldn't be too difficult to put together a solution like that, but from the player's perspective some tasks and variables strung together would be identical to an NPC. For basic interactions they're easy enough to fake that I see an actual NPC designated by the game as more of an organizational tool for the author.

Also, a favor to ask you guys? Would you be willing to leave your games without a password protection? I still consider being able to open up a game and fiddle with the wiring the easiest way for someone new to figure out the basics, and this way we'd there's be some small simple games to show to new authors as an example.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Lumin wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:04 am Also, a favor to ask you guys? Would you be willing to leave your games without a password protection? I still consider being able to open up a game and fiddle with the wiring the easiest way for someone new to figure out the basics, and this way we'd there's be some small simple games to show to new authors as an example.
I don't think that any of my games are password protected. If anyone can learn from them, it's perfectly ok with me.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Notification:
The poll about whether we should have a competition or not is still running. And will continue to tun until the set date. This so no one can complain that he/or she didn't get to vote.
Having said that and because there are five people thinking a competition is a good idea, I hereby announce that the competition officially starts after Easter Sunday.
Participants have three weeks (that is until Sunday April 25 ... No matter which timezone you are in.) to complete and send their game, blorb or taf file to my official Adrift Email address: Drifting(dot)Prune AT mail(dot)com
I will then upload them to the Adrift Main Site and set up some kind of a voting system (see my other post regarding scoring.)
DazaKiwi

Post by DazaKiwi »

P/o Prune wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:07 pm Notification:
The poll about whether we should have a competition or not is still running. And will continue to tun until the set date. This so no one can complain that he/or she didn't get to vote.
Having said that and because there are five people thinking a competition is a good idea, I hereby announce that the competition officially starts after Easter Sunday.
Participants have three weeks (that is until Sunday April 25 ... No matter which timezone you are in.) to complete and send their game, blorb or taf file to my official Adrift Email address: Drifting(dot)Prune AT mail(dot)com
I will then upload them to the Adrift Main Site and set up some kind of a voting system (see my other post regarding scoring.)
I thought i had already started? I am 5 hours into my entry already. You OP said it has started. How many others thought it has already started too?
P/o Prune wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:58 pm Here are the rules for P/o Prune's mini competition 2021
The competition starts now! :D
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

Looks like those of us paying attention to the forum just get a head start.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Doesn't matter guys...
Just start writing..... :? :P