Most locations in Interactive Fiction

Here you can share your "work in progress" with your fellow Drifters.
ralphmerridew

Re: Most locations in Interactive Fiction

Post by ralphmerridew »

Simulating multiple rooms with a single room is a little more complicated than that if there are any objects in the game. If the player drops something in one room, then moves to another, objects left in the first room should not be in the second.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

>>>So I don't have any real good argument to exclude Snowball from the list, so for now, I will keep it there.

Argument: Mazes suck.
Denk

Post by Denk »

ralphmerridew wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:05 pm Simulating multiple rooms with a single room is a little more complicated than that if there are any objects in the game. If the player drops something in one room, then moves to another, objects left in the first room should not be in the second.
That's true, but still a lot faster than creating 7000 locations manually in ADRIFT. Since Level 9 created their own adventure engine, they could easily create a short loop that creates 7000 locations with the same location description, so they may technically be unique locations.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
ralphmerridew

Post by ralphmerridew »

By that measure, it's not too difficult to export one room as a .amf file, and then write a program to create N variations on that room, and export each of them to a .amf file, then import that second .amf into a game.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
Denk

Post by Denk »

ralphmerridew wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:10 pm By that measure, it's not too difficult to export one room as a .amf file, and then write a program to create N variations on that room, and export each of them to a .amf file, then import that second .amf into a game.
Yes, I guess most (hobby) programmers could do that.
lumin wrote: >>>So I don't have any real good argument to exclude Snowball from the list, so for now, I will keep it there.

Argument: Mazes suck.
I would like to exclude Snowball from the list but I think your proposed argument is a little too subjective :lol:
The Bash Saga:
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

How's progress coming along on this?

I need to get back to the daily work on mine. I was waiting for my work schedule to be less screwed up, but it seems it will be that way indefinitely. People just keep quitting and I'm not seeing a lot of signs they're trying very hard to replace them.
Denk

Post by Denk »

Lumin wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:19 pm How's progress coming along on this?

I need to get back to the daily work on mine. I was waiting for my work schedule to be less screwed up, but it seems it will be that way indefinitely. People just keep quitting and I'm not seeing a lot of signs they're trying very hard to replace them.
I am still quite optimistic. I have just been working on something else lately, including my ParserComp entry.

Let's hope you get a better schedule so we can se some ADRIFT games from you at some point..
The Bash Saga:
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

Denk wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:45 pm Let's hope you get a better schedule so we can se some ADRIFT games from you at some point..
Honestly if I ever do finish anything, it would probably not be anything anyone here would be interested in except maybe Theo and Daza. It's hard for me to get in the mindset of writing traditional IF now, the things that appeal to me most are character interactions and a dynamic plot, which unfortunately are big fat weak points in the IF style of modeling a world.

Using ADRIFT is mostly a just for fun thing for me, I enjoy puzzling out some little mechanic or detailing a setting, but there isn't this huge drive to actually finish a thing beyond the sense that I really should at some point. Added to that when I do have time again it's really started to seem to me it'd be more usefully spent on reviews and the like.

Anyway, working 7-14 hours a day right now, seven days a week so most of my writing progress in any form is just tweaking outlines and scenes in my head. Things might let up a little at the end of the month when we're supposed to have a manager again and maybe, just maybe they will actually start to hire people.
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

Denk wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:34 am
I notice that some people don't regard MUDs as IF. To me, that doesn't make sense. Sure, their focus is on combat, levelling up etc. but I would still say that MUDs and e.g. Zork have more in common than say Zork and Depression Quest. I must admit I don't know much about MUDs, only tried one briefly 20 years ago.
I think this is because they see it as missing the "fiction" part. There are frequently minor quests but no driving plot provided by the devs, the players are expected to create their own characters utilizing the provided lore, and the rest is very much a sandbox experience in the environment provided while interacting with others. Which to me is a much more "interactive" kind of fiction than what we're used to, and in happen to like the combination of imaginative freedom held in check by hard mechanics, but the name of our hobby has to be a label fought over more than any I know.

They're definitely more similar than anything else out there as far as how the world is simulated and interacted with and how the map is navigated though, preferences aside, a person used to one isn't going to have any trouble actually playing the other.
In my game, despite the size and optional special mechanics for moving around, the intention is to have story and puzzles like a standard text adventure and nothing will be random, though some NPC walks might appear random, depending on when you meet them.
Always interested in more progress updates on this. (Realizing I'm responding to an old post, but you edited and I got a notification about it.)
Denk

Post by Denk »

Lumin wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:16 am Always interested in more progress updates on this. (Realizing I'm responding to an old post, but you edited and I got a notification about it.)
I don't mind people answering old posts, as old posts can sometimes trigger new ideas. And as you said, I edited it. In this case, I just removed a full stop as I wanted to test why I had trouble posting (I still have), without flooding the forum with new posts :)

You might be right about MUDs missing the "fiction" part is why MUDs are not regarded as IF, though many pure puzzle games roughly miss the "fiction" part too. I also think it is a bit historical. If MUDs had first been invented nowadays, and if it had been presented as multiplayer IF, it would most likely have been accepted as yet another new branch of IF, as practically all text-based games are being accepted as IF at the moment.
The Bash Saga: