Lost Coastlines

Here you can share your "work in progress" with your fellow Drifters.
The0didactus

Re: Lost Coastlines

Post by The0didactus »

And a few more, to demonstrate the parser-like elements and the variety inherent in each procedurally-placed location and procedurally-generated item.
Attachments
screenshot 5.JPG
screenshot 5.JPG (89.42 KiB) Viewed 680 times
screenshot 4.JPG
screenshot 4.JPG (100.13 KiB) Viewed 680 times
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

I was a pretty big fan of this one:

I truthfully don't think any other game in existence can boast this kind of action.
The0didactus

Post by The0didactus »

It's a tough decision.
The0didactus

Post by The0didactus »

I'll probably finish a playable beta of Lost Coastlines this weekend, though there are still a lot of features to add.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (112.3 KiB) Viewed 541 times
The0didactus

Post by The0didactus »

Time for another update and more screenshots. After years of work, Lost Coastlines is nearly done! Sadly, it won't be done in time for IFComp 2021. Currently my plan is to complete all the mechanical parts of the game by Jan 1, 2022, and then spend the time between that and IFComp 2022 improving the procedural text engine to allow for more interesting variations.

Current features:

- 325 procedurally placed "places of interest", each with a deck of randomized encounters that happen when visited, scattered over a map of more than 500 locations, which are connected and named procedurally.

- An encounter system with more than 700 encounters, most of which have randomized or procedurally generated text, leading to interesting variations on many of them.

- a CRPG-ish stats system featuring 5 stats and 8 "genres" for characters to specialize in

- a ragdoll inventory system featuring 8 slots (head, neck, body, hand, weapon, "other", shoes...and socks)

- approximately 200 wearable items which have procedurally generated descriptions, such that they're different from game to game.

- 12 quest giving places of interest, some of which give randomized/repeatable quests

- interesting subsystems that simulate overland travel and sea battles

- procedurally generated romance-able NPCS...and procedurally generated dates

- unnamed locations the player can visit and name
Last edited by The0didactus on Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The0didactus

Post by The0didactus »

some screenshots
Attachments
screenshot3.jpg
screenshot3.jpg (142.29 KiB) Viewed 239 times
screenshot2.JPG
screenshot2.JPG (86.02 KiB) Viewed 239 times
Screenshot1.JPG
Screenshot1.JPG (135.19 KiB) Viewed 239 times
The0didactus

Post by The0didactus »

and some more
Attachments
screenshot 3.JPG
screenshot 3.JPG (111.3 KiB) Viewed 235 times
screenshot 2.JPG
screenshot 2.JPG (171.59 KiB) Viewed 235 times
screenshot 1.JPG
screenshot 1.JPG (87.64 KiB) Viewed 235 times
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

Didn't know you could name places yourself, that's a cool feature.

The birds made a poor choice settling so close to the city of cats.
DazaKiwi

Post by DazaKiwi »

How well do you organize your project in Adrift and keep it manageable? Do you plan all the mechanics and gameplay out on paper first and refine it some more before you start?

One of the biggest problems i found in my larger projects, where different systems can interconnect and when you have a long break going back to it, well, a lot of work untangling the thought process that went into it. I try to create comments in specific tasks, but often i find a better way of doing something and rework things and that can break other things. So now i have a new mantra of 'what is the most simple way i can do x', sometimes that discovery comes later though.

One thing i am starting to do lately is close all folders that isn't my current focus, and create folders for almost every system needed and make use of the side folder tree when i want to open one. This avoids the clutter on the main screen and is much easier to focus.

One thing i noticed in your screenshots was the command 'look elfin story', why were you using look? for that, i wouldn't of guessed as a player to use the instead of 'read elfin story'. But you probably have a commands list ingame that explains things like that.

Anyway look forward to playing your game.
The0didactus

Post by The0didactus »

I generally spend a very long time scripting things out in a notebook or an excel spreadsheet before actually making the game. Skybreak was a giant list of encounters for years before it was a finished game.

Having said that, I do often add mechanics as I go. Lost coastlines for example has been a long exercise of realizing there's not enough of encounter [x], not enough uses for skill [y], and so on.