Oct. 31st.

Here you can share your "work in progress" with your fellow Drifters.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Oct. 31st.

Post by P/o Prune »

Oct 31 Intro 25.jpg
Oct 31 Intro 25.jpg (128.79 KiB) Viewed 1036 times
The intro picture to my entry for the IF Comp 2021.
The game is built over the same theme as my Octocomp entry years ago. (2011) "The House" Although the theme is the same, this game differs in so many ways that I consider it a new game. Actually the only thing the two games will have in common, is that it takes place in an old abandoned house and of course Dracula will be there. But there will be plenty of other monsters as well :whistle:
The game takes place in Pennsylvania (Salem) and the player is a visitor who has been lured into spending the night on Halloween in this very old abandoned house.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 135Kb (My entry for the parser Comp 2022 :wink: )
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Oct. 31st.

Post by P/o Prune »

Dec 14:
60 Kb so far, and I haven't even scratched the surface yet. Denk's library is a great help and hopefully it will boost the opinions of the Adrift parser during the next competition.
I think I've mentioned it before, that a walk with the dog (if you don't have one, borrow your neighbors ;-) ) can be an inspiration to your game. The downside is, for me, that I sometimes get so many ideas that if I was to implement them all I'd have to rewrite the game. :?
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

Good luck with this!

Nice that you're off to an early start.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Lumin wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:45 am Nice that you're off to an early start.
Trial and error, Lumin. I have learned (the hard way) that no matter when you begin your entry to the IFComp, there is never enough time :wink:
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Update Jan 26th
Wow, has it been that long?
Ok, here's what have been happening. I decided to make a copy of this game in Danish as well and therefore had both the Danish and the English library open. At some point, don't ask me how or why, I managed to merge the two libraries thus totally messing up the Danish library. I had to start from scratch, translating all the locations, objects, well pretty much all the text into Danish. What a bummer!! :x
Anyway, that is all done now and the .taf is now a staggering 70 Kb. Things are going pretty smooth (for the time being)
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Update Feb 04
First hurdle completed. The first monster is now disposed of. It took some doing, but I'm pretty happy with the result. One of my problems is that there are five monsters in the game, and I have to come up with a way to avoid them all "coming alive" at the same time. I have also decided to add a scoring system.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Update Aug 3rd

Getting closer to finishing the game.
The player will meet five monsters and so far I've gotten four of them in order. So that's one to go and then I'm ready for beta testing.
I have decided to skip the annual IFComp this year. I've found out that the Parser Comp, will accept a translated game in their comp. This mean that I can release the Danish version this year, and still enter the English version in next years Parser Comp.
Besides, the Parser Comp seems more up the Adrift alley. Your game is being played by people who's genuine interested in parse games.
Denk

Post by Denk »

P/o Prune wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:29 pmThis mean that I can release the Danish version this year, and still enter the English version in next years Parser Comp.
I really hope there will be a ParserComp next year, as this year I think it was quite a success. On average 20 people played each game. I think it is likely there will be a ParserComp 2022 but as it has been six years since the last ParserComp and no one has promised anything, it may be good to consider that it is not certain there will be a ParserComp next year. This year, the original organizer had to step down for personal reasons during ParserComp but hopefully, he will be back next year.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Oh! I almost forgot.

Data on Oct. 31st. so far:

Size: 112 Kb
Locations: 25
Objects:198
Tasks: 226 (Not including libraries)(
Characters: 8 (Not including player)
Events: 6
Variables: 36 (Not including libraries)

Total editing time: 221H 28M
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Update: Aug 12 2021:

Oct. 31st is in Beta mode right now. The first transcript has been received (256 pages) and corrected :?
The second beta version is out now. In the meantime I'm translating the game into Danish. I found out that by going for the Parser Comp. I'm allowed to enter my game in English, even if I have released it earlier in Danish. So I hope to be able to finish the Danish version in time to have a Halloween release this year.

Denk has just posted under the header: My current projects.
Not a bad idea, I think. So here's mine. They are not listed in any particular order, although Frihedskæmper is pretty high on my list right now :wink:

Frihedskæmper (Freedomfighter) Danish
Skatten på Jægerspris (The treasure on Jægerspris castle) Danish
Anno 1700 (Danish)
Ghost town (an old Adrift 4 game) Danish
We'll meet again.
Escape.
D-Day
Denk

Post by Denk »

Interesting list. Good to see that you are reviving Ghost Town as I never completed it and I still plan to. There were some hints online, but not enough for me to get through the game :lol:
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Denk wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:07 pm Interesting list. Good to see that you are reviving Ghost Town as I never completed it and I still plan to. There were some hints online, but not enough for me to get through the game :lol:
You're always welcome to ask rofl
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Update Sept. 23rd 2021
I'm pleased to announce that I have now completed both versions of Oct. 31st :D
Denk is beta testing the English version, and as soon as he's done, I'm going to throw the Danish version his way rofl

Now, for my next project, I'll start my Danish adventure called "Greetings to Joergen" A game about the occupation of Denmark in the 40's.
The title is taken from the broadcasts from BBC to Denmark during the German occupation. At the end of the news, the speaker would read some greetings to imaginary people. These names were, in fact, codes for the various resistance groups operating in Denmark. So, for instance, when the speaker said "Greetings to Hans" it meant that the RAF would drop weapons, explosives etc. to a certain resistance group and they would now know that the drop was to take place that night.

The other one is: "The Escape" or "The long way home" (haven't decided yet) about a British pilot being shot down while patrolling Dunkirk during the evacuation. He will then have to make his way to the beach and try to get a ship back to Britain.
rotter

Post by rotter »

P/o Prune wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:51 pm Update Sept. 23rd 2021
The other one is: "The Escape" or "The long way home" (haven't decided yet) about a British pilot being shot down while patrolling Dunkirk during the evacuation. He will then have to make his way to the beach and try to get a ship back to Britain.
I love the sound of this game.