Other systems?

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.
lilith

Other systems?

Post by lilith »

Hi guys, does anyone know other systems which are available for writing I.F.? Please let me know. Thanks
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Other systems?

Post by P/o Prune »

Hi Lillith
Just off the top of my head I could mention Inform, TADS
But why are you looking for other systems, have you given Adrift a chance?
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 93Kb (possible entry for IFComp 2021 :wink: )
rotter

Post by rotter »

lilith wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:14 am Hi guys, does anyone know other systems which are available for writing I.F.? Please let me know. Thanks
Quest is pretty simple to use. And of course, Adrift is pretty good.
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

That's a lot, if learning a coding language doesn't intimidate you. Adrift is for those of us that want a powerful and flexible IF writing tool that does away with the need for that. But Inform is the main one for traditional parser based interactive fiction.

If you're thinking more of IF as small "experiences" that just let the player click through them, that's popular for Twine, and then there's the ChooseYourStory site for interactive novels and the like with basic (optional) item, variable, and scripting systems built in.

Adrift imo is best for pure flexibility, ChooseYourStory for feedback and reviews.

What was the issue you had with Adrift exactly though? Might be something one of the veterans here can help with. (Unless it's the Windows requirement rearing its head again...)
Lazzah

Post by Lazzah »

Hey guys, should we really be pointing Lilith in the direction of other IF systems? As Lumin asks, what is her/his problem with ADRIFT? There is plenty of help available via this forum if needed. I don't see why Lilith has to ask about other systems on this forum anyway, a simple Google search would answer that question. Sorry if I sound unhelpful but surely we should be promoting ADRIFT, not directing people away from it?
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Lazzah wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:01 am Hey guys, should we really be pointing Lilith in the direction of other IF systems? As Lumin asks, what is her/his problem with ADRIFT? There is plenty of help available via this forum if needed. I don't see why Lilith has to ask about other systems on this forum anyway, a simple Google search would answer that question. Sorry if I sound unhelpful but surely we should be promoting ADRIFT, not directing people away from it?
You are quite right, Lazzah.
I thought that myself, also (and I'm sorry if I do you injustice Lilith) she joined in June 2020 and almost a year after (April 2021) she post for the first time. There could be a number of reasons for this which is why I let it pass and approved her post.
I will, however, keep an eye on this user, as I do with all newcomers.
Sounds harsh? Perhaps. But there are numerous registries who sign on and is never heard from again.
David Whyld

Post by David Whyld »

Am I missing something here? Someone asks a harmless question about other IF systems and almost every response so far has been complaining about it. That’s not exactly newbie friendly.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Although I agree with you to some extend, David, Lilith's post is kind of "strange." No mention that she has tried Adrift and found it inadequate, or difficult or whatever reason she may have to look for another system. Not that she has to come up with an explanation or excuse, personally I would find it polite to write a little more than what she did.
Somehow she managed to find Adrift and the forum, and, like Lazzah said, why not google it? Took me less than 5 minutes. Googled Interactive fiction and and got "tons" of results.
But let's see what happens from here on.

P.s.
By the way. Lilith's email address is: Phantom.Lancer .........
That brought back memories form the old days :wink:
Do you remember a Lancer from back when? :|
David Whyld

Post by David Whyld »

This thread reminds me of Intfiction. Someone asks a harmless question and they line up to bash them for it. Before you know it they've been brandished racist, sexist and probably a deviant to boot. Instead of bashing them for asking a question, why not give them the benefit of the doubt and just answer it?

No wonder this place is so quiet sometimes. It's hardly the kind of reaction that encourages people to join.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Are you having a bad day, David? :wink:
I think you are a little harsh now, and unfair too for that matter.
Lazzah's reply to Lilith's posting, whether you think it's appropriate or not, is legit. Could it have been phrased differently? perhaps, but I'm not the one to judge.
I will say that I, myself, wondered why she would ask a question like that. Not that there's anything wrong in doing so, but had it been me, I would have elaborated a bit on it.
I think you're talking against better knowledge when you say that newcomers are in danger of being bashed for asking harmless questions, or asking questions at all. is not the common way we greet newcomers and I think you know that.
And you comparing the Adrift forum to that of Intfiction is very unfair, in my opinion. No one is brandishing anyone and I doubt very much that you will ever see that.
If you look at the replies to Lilith's question you will see that apart from Lazzahs, which is not of much help to her, all of them are friendly responses.
This is just my two cents worth.
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

Well if it was a troll post and not just an innocent question, it was entirely successful and you guys made them really happy now that it's gotten all these reactions and even started an argument.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Lumin wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:28 am Well if it was a troll post and not just an innocent question, it was entirely successful and you guys made them really happy now that it's gotten all these reactions and even started an argument.
Yep. :wink:
Anyways, I've sent an email to Lilith regarding her post (nice and polite :wink: )
So let's see what happens.
David Whyld

Post by David Whyld »

The thing I don’t get is that Lilith’s post was completely harmless and yet you’re acting like there’s something suspicious about it. Comments like she could have Googled an answer don’t help. Everyone on here is guilty of starting threads about subjects they could Google just as easily and it’s not like the forum is so overrun with activity that you need to be trying to discourage posts. Maybe it’s an unnecessary post but so what? It’s not like it’s doing any harm.
Denk

Post by Denk »

Everyone, let's keep in mind that many authors use more than one IF tool. It should be perfectly fine to touch upon other tools too in the ADRIFT sub-forum "General IF". I can only speak for myself, but I haven't abandoned ADRIFT even though I have made a few games with other IF tools.

No one prevents you from promoting ADRIFT when you reply. If more people discuss general IF here, I am sure some of them would try ADRIFT. Perhaps some people come here first about playing the games, but later they might want to try writing a game with ADRIFT.

Also, if someone writes a good game with another tool, people might try out other games by that author. For instance, the double IFComp winner Steph Cherrywell started out writing games with Quest. I tried one of her Quest-games and it was pretty good!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

I just feel like we're reading a lot into a simple question, the OP could've been more communicative but getting all paranoid and suspicious is not going to encourage anybody else reading this either.

They're likely new to IF if they don't know the other options out there, and I mean there's no point in meeting the existence of other programs a secret or anything.

It's probable that like many of us they would find Inform not to their liking, but are they going to come back here afterwards if they think we're all weird and hostile?