A Return to Positivity

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.
Lumin

A Return to Positivity

Post by Lumin »

So this is a little random, but I feel like I've been really really down on Adrift and the handful of issues with it for awhile now and I imagine it's been a little annoying for the rest of you.

There are still some things that frustrate me (particularly with the online player) that will probably never be fixed, but ADRIFT is such a good authoring program and after all these years there's still just nothing comparable out there. Right now I'm feeling pretty great about it all honestly, I'm excited about my contest game and it's been a lot of fun writing it. (I just hope life calms down a little so I can definitely finish on time.)

Added to that I've been encouraged by how easy it is to get people who are brand new involved, if you just find the right game to entice them. Whatever quirks ADRIFT has (*coughs* except for the online player...) they're not really an obstacle to an author determined to follow their vision, or a player thinking something sounds interesting enough that they set aside time to check it out in the first place.

And honestly I think the possibilities with ADRIFT as a tool for text games are boundless and go far beyond the typical, traditional parser adventure. Even after all these years almost no one's been using it to anywhere near the extent of what it can do. (Although it makes a very fine parser game too.) So short of some identical, modernized clone appearing from the aether, I don't think ADRIFT is anywhere near the end of its lifespan. I'll probably put up a new WIP thread soon in fact, and maybe even finish this one.

...and I'm kind of just rambling now and I should probably go to bed. In fact, maybe the only thing that's changed is that I've now reached the euphoric stage of sleep deprivation, as opposed to the one that just makes me cranky.
Lazzah

Re: A Return to Positivity

Post by Lazzah »

Thank you, Lumin, for your positive words about ADRIFT. I would echo everything you said and look forward to many more years of Drifting.
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Random is ok, Lumin, :wink:
And like Lazzah, I agree with everything you have written. I have been around for quite a while and into IF since the 80's (just like thee other old geezer here :P ) and I have looked all over the place for a usable IF writing tool. At least until I stumbled over ADRIFT.
Agreed that there are things (quite a few, actually) that needs fixing, and I'm not giving up. Campbell are getting messages and emails from me on a regular basis and I'm sure he will get around to fix things along the way (now, work with me here, Campbell :wink: )
Maybe I am more patient than the average person, but imo Adrift works quite good. just look at Skybreak, and Six silver bullets, not to mention the fact that Adrift games are now climbing up the ladder in the IF Comp.
So, yes Lumin, I too am sure that ADRIFT will be here for quite some time. :D
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 93Kb (possible entry for IFComp 2021 :wink: )
Denk

Post by Denk »

Good post Lumin :D

Despite the quirks and limitations of ADRIFT, I can say that ADRIFT is the IF tool I have most FUN using. I have tried using other tools, but I just don't enjoy writing games as much as when I am using ADRIFT.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
DazaKiwi

Post by DazaKiwi »

You post sums things up nicely. Over time you get to know Adrift's quirks to the point of going around them, just like knowing where all the creaky boards are in a house you lived in for years. It is like an old saying, you get out of it what you put in.
rotter

Post by rotter »

I've written an Inform game that did very well in an IFComp and could probably do it again. But, I found it such a chore and it took years to do all the coding - I still love Adrift. It is easy to just go on with creating the game. Most of my experience is with good old V4, I learned how to break it in and make it work. But 5 has loads of strengths. We just need that web running sorting.
David Whyld

Post by David Whyld »

I realise I’m way too negative about Adrift most of the time. Sure it has its problems and I’ve never warmed to v5 the way I did to v4 but I’ve seen enough of it to know it’s a decent program in its own right. For all the charms of Inform it’s never really appealed to me in the same way that Adrift has. I just wish things were like they were in the old days. Regular updates, lots of new games and a feeling that it was a cool system to use and not one that seems to have been largely abandoned by its creator.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

David Whyld wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:36 am <snip> I just wish things were like they were in the old days. Regular updates, lots of new games and a feeling that it was a cool system to use and not one that seems to have been largely abandoned by its creator.
So well said, David. I guess we (Drifters) can't do much about the updates, but we can create games, and enter Spring thing, IFComp etc. (whether we like their rules or not :wink: ) I don't see any other ways to spread the knowledge about Adrift. Denk and I (mostly Denk to be honest) has made a Danish version of the Adrift developer and I have already released one game in Danish, and a few others are on their way. I realise that it's not much and that Denmark isn't exactly the largest IF community :( but it's a start.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 93Kb (possible entry for IFComp 2021 :wink: )
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

The biggest negative point for me has always been the--in 2021, just a LITTLE unreasonable--hurdles that new players are expected to clear before actually playing, and the seeming disinterest in ever fixing them. Well that and the lack of communication.

Campbell did ask once about the problems with the online runner but I have no idea if he ever read the responses. And the problems there are significant enough that I pretty much have written off the online runner completely as a viable option.

But it is what it is. I'm not choosing to ignore the issues there so much as move past them. There is no better authoring tool for these kinds of games, and as far as players go I'd get more satisfaction out of a handful of people I know enjoying them than X amount of strangers anyway. We don't need a gigantic community, just a dedicated one.
rotter

Post by rotter »

Lumin wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:44 pm The biggest negative point for me has always been the--in 2021, just a LITTLE unreasonable--hurdles that new players are expected to clear before actually playing, and the seeming disinterest in ever fixing them.
This is such an important issue if we want Adrift to grow. Also, I've been to a number of the London and Oxford meetups and I know how non-Windows the rest of the IF world is. So, together this makes V5 hard work to sell.
David Whyld

Post by David Whyld »

The issue with the Runner is one that people have mentioned for years but it’s never been fixed and I doubt it ever will be. As a player it doesn’t affect me because I’ll never use it but as an author it’s a real problem. In this day and age when every other system seems to have an online runner, it’s more than a little disappointing that Adrift still has nothing but problems. In many ways I wish Campbell had never made the Runner. One that sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t is much worse than having none at all. And in all honesty even when it works it’s not up to much.