Will we rule the IFDB?

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.
Lumin

Re: Will we rule the IFDB?

Post by Lumin »

And Based vanishes! Mysterious!

But re: the IFDB, I was told they banned another CYS admin's account this morning. He must've slipped under the radar during the initial purge, but then someone listed one of his games so that must've reminded them.

Just the fact they took out Sentinel's account too when he barely used it except to rate a few games early on and wasn't even involved with any of the threads on the subject already confirmed for me why this is happening though.

And also I just have to say that I always loved David's reviews. When I first started coming around here I'd check for them just because they were funny and entertaining even if I had zero interest in playing the game itself. I still really think there's an art to reviewing, be it a game or a movie or anything else, it's just like writing a persuasive essay and the success is in drawing people in and making them relate no matter what the subject is. But then maybe I'm weird because every year when the IFComp comes around I'm looking forward to certain reviewers even for games I don't play.

And of course I can understand that getting a sarcastic review is probably not as fun at all for the game author, but the secret is just to write a game that doesn't suck. (Or maybe just don't put too much importance on other people's opinions....no matter what you write, someone will hate it, and if you still learn that someone paying enough attention to say that and why is still better than being ignored.)
BattleoftheBased

Post by BattleoftheBased »

I'm not trying to be mysterious, I just don't want to reveal my identity until my storygame is finished.

Wait. maybe I am trying to be mysterious. But I'm not even logging in over there right now as I just end up doing things that aren't writing.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

BattleoftheBased wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:07 pm I'm not trying to be mysterious, I just don't want to reveal my identity until my storygame is finished.

Wait. maybe I am trying to be mysterious. But I'm not even logging in over there right now as I just end up doing things that aren't writing.
Oh!! Please... be mysterious... The life as a pensioner is boring.. I need mystery and excitement. :shock: :P
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 93Kb (possible entry for IFComp 2021 :wink: )
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

P/o Prune wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:16 pm
Oh!! Please... be mysterious... The life as a pensioner is boring.. I need mystery and excitement. :shock: :P
You could always buy a cape and fight crime at night.

I have a few ideas of who Based might be, just because there aren't too many 15 year olds on CYS that have made themselves noticeable in any way. Of course I guess he could've been in full lurk mode this entire time.
rovarsson

Post by rovarsson »

Lumin wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:23 pm Now that the IFComp has fully fed on the community's life essence and returned to the coffin for another year, I can't help but notice that three quarters of the IFDB activity are being driven by people associated with this forum.

Denk and Rovarsson mainly of course, but antscoff has begun to do reviews as well, and I'm going to continue listing CYOA games just about daily and post comments when I can. Others of those active have been from CYS, and involvement is only going to increase from here.

Seriously, look at the last week's activity, and see a trend that may continue, only minus the stragglers still reviewing IFComp games. It's just pretty amusing to me that besides Mathbrush and the occasional rando wandering in, the ones carrying the archive that's the center of everything may this year all be from communities the mainstream folks traditionally look down on or outright revile. Right now you can be listed as a top 100 reviewer with just a handful of reviews, we should all aim for that.

We must be careful with this great responsibility, the IFDB is an unmoderated and venerable old gal, starting to show a little wear and tear at the seams, and....hey, wait, somebody already hired strippers and managed to drive Dad's car into the pool? Aaarggh
Yeah, about that...

I hope you don't consider me a traitorous cheater for spending so much time with another woma... IF-site while neglecting to post here. I just got really bummed when my computer broke and my entire ADRIFT project vanished. I guess I didn't really want to be reminded too much by coming here and seeing my WIP-posts.

I gather Denk's new library is pretty awesome and that there's a recent update of Adrift itself. Time to get back to work. (I'm saying this to pressure myself into actually starting with the writing)
Denk

Post by Denk »

rovarsson wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:21 amI hope you don't consider me a traitorous cheater for spending so much time with another woma... IF-site while neglecting to post here. I just got really bummed when my computer broke and my entire ADRIFT project vanished. I guess I didn't really want to be reminded too much by coming here and seeing my WIP-posts.

I gather Denk's new library is pretty awesome and that there's a recent update of Adrift itself. Time to get back to work. (I'm saying this to pressure myself into actually starting with the writing)
It is good to hear that you haven't left us for good :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

I'd noticed you were hanging out over there a lot, hadn't realized you lost your project though. I know you'd put a ton of work into it too, that had to be absolutely devastating.

I know it's too late now, but uploading to Google drive or somewhere after every major work session (or even just emailing yourself) is a good habit to get into. That or carving it into a stone tablet. Never trust technology.
rovarsson

Post by rovarsson »

"That or carving it into a stone tablet."

My neighbour from the cave across the valley brough back something amazing from his trip to the Nile. It's called "papyrus". They make it by smashing reeds together. I can draw pictures on it with a pointy stick and my own blood. Definitely a step up from stone tablet and chisel.
BattleoftheBased

Post by BattleoftheBased »

I write in Google docs on my phone and then paste it into the program on my laptop when I have time during class.
EndMaster

Post by EndMaster »

Stone Tablets generally last longer than papyrus.

I typically have back up copies on two different flash drives. Got actual paper copies of some of the stuff.
Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

EndMaster wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:45 am Stone Tablets generally last longer than papyrus.

I typically have back up copies on two different flash drives. Got actual paper copies of some of the stuff.
I tried writing it into a wheat field (ie Cropcircles)
But that only lasted until harvest time. So I'd definitely go with the stone tablets. rofl

On a more serious note. Like Endmaster, I too have a flash drive where I save all my stuff.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 93Kb (possible entry for IFComp 2021 :wink: )
rovarsson

Post by rovarsson »

P/o Prune wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:36 am
I tried writing it into a wheat field (ie Cropcircles)
But that only lasted until harvest time. So I'd definitely go with the stone tablets. rofl
You could go over the field with a geiger counter. Pretty sure you'd at least find leftover-glow from your circles.