A dificult puzzle

A forum where new and old games can be reviewed - an alternative to the reviews on the Adventures page of the main ADRIFT site. Also the place to ask for any assistance if you are stuck playing a particular game.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

A dificult puzzle

Post by P/o Prune »

Is anyone playing A Difficult Puzzle?
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 93Kb (possible entry for IFComp 2021 :wink: )
Lazzah

Re: A difficult puzzle

Post by Lazzah »

I tried to play this game but I am extremely bad at mathematics, so to me this game was rocket science. Sorry Denk, it was A TOO Difficult Puzzle.

Also, I am not a fan of RPG-type games so when I started playing Questgiver, I was immediately put off by its content and didn't continue playing - sorry Dazakiwi!

So the only game I played from start to finish was P.O.'s Princess Illumina.
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Lazzah wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:40 am I tried to play this game but I am extremely bad at mathematics, so to me this game was rocket science. Sorry Denk, it was A TOO Difficult Puzzle.
Denk told me that it's all a question about addition and subtraction. My biggest problem right now is figuring out how to do that in this particular game :?
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 93Kb (possible entry for IFComp 2021 :wink: )
Denk

Post by Denk »

Lazzah wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:40 am I tried to play this game but I am extremely bad at mathematics, so to me this game was rocket science. Sorry Denk, it was A TOO Difficult Puzzle.
No problem, I knew it wasn't for everyone. Still, I hope some of the players will solve it, perhaps with help from the fairy Melinda and/or me.

EDIT: I was inspired by a more complicated Inform game "Junior Arithmancer" which came in 7 out of 77 in IFComp in 2018 (can be played online). In that game you had to produce the decimals of pi, e, squareroot 2 etc. It did very well in IFComp so perhaps people who are good at math might be attracted by Inform. I know at least two Inform authors that are mathematicians :wink:

But as P/o Prune mentioned above, in my game you only need addition and subtraction.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Re: A dificult puzzle

Post by Denk »

As most people seem to give up on this game, I will post some general advice here, and behind spoiler tags, I will add some VERY spoilery hints:

GENERAL:
It isn't required to get hints from the fairy Melinda but it might give you some ideas on how to solve the puzzle. The purpose of the fairy Melinda is to provide hints. For instance, you can "ASK MELINDA ABOUT BOOK" (can be abbreviated "A BOOK") and she will hopefully give a useful answer. The answer might depend on what you have seen and done. You can even "ASK MELINDA FOR HELP" (A HELP) and the response will depend on what has happened so far, perhaps added some random responses.

You can ask as many questions as you like. The questions are counted in case you want to know how much help you got. Sure, you can "cheat" by restarting but you are only cheating yourself. Don't feel bad about asking a lot of questions, as it seems that most people will need hints for this game.

VERY SPOILERY HINTS:
Spoiler
The book always contains exactly one page. The page number may change when you walk between rooms while carrying the book. The purpose is to find the right pages and read them.
Spoiler
The number on the floor tells the player how much the page number will change if you leave the room while holding the book. If you go clockwise it increases and if you go counterclockwise it decreases. The lowest page number is zero.
Spoiler
If you want to move between rooms but don't want the page number to change, put the book in the recess, go to that room and pick up the book again. Then the page number hasn't changed.
Spoiler
Except for the room with the door, each room contains an object which hints at a relevant page number. In the eastern room the painting hints at a certain page number, in the southern room it is the poster and in the western room it is the message.
If anyone is interested I can post more hints.
The Bash Saga:
Edo

Post by Edo »

I'm interested. I'd appreciate few more hints.
Denk

Post by Denk »

Edo wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:54 pm I'm interested. I'd appreciate few more hints.
Ok, here are a few more:

It is recommended to look at the hints in my previous post before looking at the hints below. By now, you should understand how to modify the page number in the book. Otherwise, the following hints won't be useful.

About page colours:
Spoiler
Page 0-9 have different colours. These are:

0: white page
1: yellow page
2: red page
3: purple page
4: pink page
5: green page
6: blue page
7: orange page
8: brown page
9: black page
More about colours:
Spoiler
If you can find a colour combination somewhere, the above colour list tells which number each colour corresponds to. Example (not in the game): Somewhere you see the colours blue, red, orange. The corresponding numbers are 6, 2 and 7. Thus the page of interest would be page 627.
The painting:
Spoiler
The painting has the three colours purple, yellow and pink corresponding to 3, 1 and 4, i.e. page 314. Move between rooms with the book until the book contains that page number (you might have to put it in the recess now and then). Then READ BOOK. You will then see a magic word, which you should SAY. You will then receive one of the three keys needed for the door.
The poster:
Spoiler
READ the RHYME and you will see this:
"Standing on a lawn
Looking west
Soon you will finish this test"

The number of words per line is relevant: 4, 2 and 6. Thus, the page number of interest in 426. Now move between rooms with the book until the page number is 426 (you may need to put the book in the recess sometimes). Read the page and SAY the magic word you find to get one of the three needed keys.
The message - part 1:
Spoiler
Read the message: "CLOCKWISE NEWNESS IS THE KEY"

It is written with capital letters to hide that some of the letters MUST be written with capital letters, i.e. "Clockwise NEWNESS is the key".
The message - part 2:
Spoiler
NEWNESS is not a word but a sequence of compass directions, i.e. N.E.W.N.E.S.S. You have to bring the book through this sequence, starting from zero and only going clockwise.
The message - part 3:
Spoiler
This will lead you to the relevant page number. However, it doesn't matter how you arrive at the relevant page number, so you can just calculate the resulting number and take another path to reach that page number.
The message - part 4:
Spoiler
For instance, the player can go north, both from the western room and the eastern room. However, as all moves must be clockwise, it must be the western room where the number on the floor is 125. Thus, when you go north from the western room, the page number increases with 125.
The message - part 5:
Spoiler
Starting from zero, the page number increases with:
N: 125
E: 1
W: 25
N: 125
E: 1
S: 5
S: 5
---
In total: 125+1+25+125+1+5+5=287

Thus you must move between rooms until the page number is 287. Read the page and SAY the magic word. You now have a key to the door.
If you have followed all hints above, you should have three keys. You can now go and unlock the door.
The Bash Saga:
Edo

Post by Edo »

Thank you! These are very helpful. I figured first set of hints while playing the game, but I was struggling to
Spoiler
"decode" in-game hint objects to page numbers. For colors I experimented with hue and wavelengths and for text I played with gematria.
Anyway, good stuff!
Denk

Post by Denk »

Edo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:06 am I figured first set of hints while playing the game
That's good to hear. Many have given up before figuring that out.

Edo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:06 am
Spoiler
"decode" in-game hint objects to page numbers. For colors I experimented with hue and wavelengths and for text I played with gematria.
Ok, sounds like your attempts were quite complicated. There are of course a lot of possibilities besides the solutions I thought of. Even though the puzzles are intended to be hard, they should still be fair. Once you have finished the game, it would be good to hear if you think some of the puzzles should be hinted better etc.

Edo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:06 am Anyway, good stuff!
I'm glad you like it!
The Bash Saga:
Edo

Post by Edo »

I only needed first hint from your second post with hints. That hinted me that I'm overdoing it. After that I knew right away what to do with Rhyme. The west one took me a bit longer but very quickly I figured which one is clue. East one with painting set the tone, and all the rest fell nicely in its place. Very satisfying.
Denk

Post by Denk »

Thanks for the feedback!
The Bash Saga: